How are you saving money?

For all of you stay @ home moms, how are you saving money in these tough times?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 10:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not!laughing

writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We are not now currently saving any money, just spending less. My husband and I both have small, home-based businesses; neither of which is bringing in much money right now.
    Send me a note if you would like some suggestions on cutting expenses.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well, I don't really have any children at home right now, so it's pretty darn easy! Seriously, I am staying at home alot more. I bought a ton of groceries and we are eating in more.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I plan meals in advance so I'm not running to the store for one missing ingredient and buying more than I need; I cook almost everything from scratch; we have two very large gardens that we will eat fresh AND preserve the extra; I am raising chickens for our freezer; I make homemade laundry soap that works better than any other name or store brand; I am crafty and make a LOT of gifts for family and friends...AND we do put money in savings every week. This, all with an annual income of under $30,000 and 4 adults and 3 tweens in the family.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I save money ALL the time because I make money online with free sites and need somewhere to put it LoL

One one free website, I made $1000 in just ONE day sooooo saving isnt a big deal for my family of 4!

http://realfreelegit.webs.com/
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 12:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I babysit, cut hair and have a business with gold canyon candles and most of the money from that I put into a savings account. I also try and clip coupons when I can.
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 1:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We have money directly taken out for our retirement. We were putting money into an ING savings account but had to stop when dh lost all OT. I sell a bit on ebay so I have a little in the paypal account. All the money from our tax return goes towards our medical deductable so it really isn't considered savings but it's there.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I understand how it feels to know at any minute you are going to drown in your debit. Fortunately I was introduced to an amazing business opportunity! I had done many business in the past and had almost swore off everything, because I was sick of making others rich, when all I got was gray hair and debit in return. I m sooo glad I look at this company, it is different then anything I have seen before. I have never seen so many people have so much success in such a short time. This business is saving people in the time of economic crisis and I'm so glad that I can share it with others. Please don't think that I'm just trying to solicit your business, that is not my intent. I know I'm truly blessed to have found this and I want others to feel the same. Here is a video http://www.efusjonenergyclub.com/flv/fulllength.html here is my site for more info http://www.efusjonenerg
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 2:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'm not a SAHM but everytime we write a check or use the debit card I round up to the nearest dollar or five dollar (depends) and any deposits that are made are wrote down as less. I have a space where I write the actual amount so I can keep up with how much is there. We have saved about $150 since doing it and it only been about 3 months. It's not much but it works.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• (Michaganmom is a winner and an encouragement. Thanks)
    I have a small garden, shop loss leaders, keep a pantry, cook from scratch, eat leftovers, pack lunches, hit the local bump and dent store. For clothes we hit thrift stores, yard sales and trade with friends. (Though some things are gotten new on sale, like socks and underwear). We generally take modest vacations going to family or friends or free locations. I cut our hair and mend ourclothes. We rarely eat out. But we haven't totally given that up yet. We take advantage of local free things to do. Library and community events, art exhibits, concerts. We also keep track of freebies like Rita's first day of spring free ice, and go as a family. We've been more conscious of electricity use (unplugging stuff) and try to cluster car errands even though gas prices are down. I do online surveys and use the credits to buy gift cards as Christmas presents. Hope these help.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 3:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009