All Faiths: Almanacs . . . A just for fun question . . .

I think each faith has its own version of an almanac of some kind they use (so to speak, LOL). Do you use one? Do you believe they are helpful or a hindrance to your faith (ie - "predictions" of weather and such being sinful or a form of witchcraft for some Christians). Do you use a Farmer's Almanac, a Witch's Almanac, a world Almanac? Do you use them to plan worship/fellowship activities?

Tell me your beliefs on almanacs!

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the world almanac is pretty cool. It doesn't have any spiritual meaning to me though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There's nothing sinful about a Farmer's Almanac! It's simply a prediction by watching the weather and climates through years past. Of course I've never bought one, but from what little I know, I've never heard anything "witch craft" about a Farmer's Almanac...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

Because, of course, it's all about you.

I used to use a Book of Days, but it's outdated now so I just look up online when I need to.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have both the Farmer's Almanac and the Witch's Almanac. The Witch's Almanac  is decidedly witchy--that's a given! But the Farmer's Almanac tells me when to plant my vegetables and flowers and what the weather is likely to be, etc. Is watching the weather report on TV sinful?

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have the Witch's Almanac & my husband uses the Farmer's Almanac. They give useful information.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I use We'moon almanc.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• im sure somenoe will say they are evil
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have heard from a few people in my area (I live in a VERY rural area of the bible belt) that ALL almanacs are from "the devil" - and no, they don't watch the weather report (or the news either, for that matter). Of course, they also still believe the earth is flat and the sun revolves around the earth (I am NOT kidding on this one!! They are NUTS).

My Grandpa has farmed all his 90 years, and has never used one. He said he just never needed one, because he just KNEW, and that good farmers worth their salt wouldn't need one anyway, LOL. Now, he never said they were evil or sacrilegious, mind you, he just didn't believe in them.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I've got a world one with maps and such...no significant ties to my religion though.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hahah..
    We are Christian.
    We dont use one but my daughter had the World Almanac for Kids.
    It was neaon orange and had all these fun facts and jokes that were aimed at little kids.
    (secretly I liked it more than her...)
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009