Whining puppy ahkkkkk!!!

Help! How do I get a puppy to stop whining at night? It is only 7 weeks old (shit-zu) and I know it misses it's mommy but if I can't get it to be quiet, dh will make me get rid of it...I have a radio on for noise, and a stuffed animal in the crate...it chews on everything so I can't put a hot water bottle in there...ideas?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pets

• A clock that ticks wrapped in a warm towel will sound like his mother's heartbeat to him. The hot water bottle would be a good idea, too but if he chews on everything, maybe not. Could you wrap it in enough layers so his little sharp teeth couldn't get through? Your best bet would be to sleep with the puppy. Putting a lonely, scared baby out in the garage would be cruel. If you put him in a crate at night, bring the crate into your bedroom so he can hear you and hubby breathing and rustling the covers, snoring(!), turning over, etc. during the night and he knows he's not alone. He may cry for a few minutes at first, but each night will be less and less as he learns to like his crate and think of it as his den. Also when you first put him in you can talk softly to him so even though he can't see you, he can hear you close by. Remember, this is a BABY.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• sleep with it or get another dog to sleep with it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Ive always had to sleep with my puppies for a week or two. So either you do it, or you get another puppy for it, or you put it somewhere where you can't hear it like in the garage or something?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You have taken a puppy away from it's mom and you put it in a crate by himself. Why wouldn't he whine? LOL. You need to put him in the bed with you at night. Just make sure you try to walk him and let him use the bathroom before you put him in the bed.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We moved our Pomeranian to our bedroom and let him sleep in his crate beside our bed until he was potty trained. Now he sleeps with us. We don't have any more problems with barking or whining at night. I think they're just scared and lonely and miss their litter mates. They need to feel safe at night.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Don't put the pup in the bed. Trust me. My little min dotson just died two days ago because she fell from my bed... two foot high. Just put his box/crate next to your bed where you can put your hand down or something. He won't whine much longer, it just takes them a couple days to settle in.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• When our dog was a pup we put her crate next to the bed. Then when she whined and it wasn't because she needed to go out, my husband would reach over and put his hand on top of the crate or pet her through the slats and she usually calmed down. It took about a week or two but eventually she settled down and would go to sleep.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• yeap, your gonna have to put it inthe bed with you. We had a puppy one too that we got when it was 6 weeks old. Although when they dropped it off , i really think he was more like 5 weeks. But not the point. And i tried to keep him in the crate at night. No no no no, he was not having that. He yelpped so much and i felt so sorry for him. So i put him in the bed with us and didn't hear another peep out of him.
    Anonymous