My sons foreskin is red and swollen? Anyone know what it is?

When you pull it back it also has a little ball of white puss and it looks like its bleeding. I will be taking him to urgent care as soon as he wakes up, just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. He is 21 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds infected from where it's not being cleaned properly. at that age his foreskin is healed. so the problem sounds to me from it not being cleaned regularly or properly...NOT bashing at all. My cousins son had the same problem. Yes, take him to Urgent Care and get him some medicine and relief.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes, I had this problem and still do. Are you sure it's pus and not diaper lint? I would wipe it clean and then put some Aquaphor on it. You will have to do this everyday until he is out of diapers. I took him to the doctor over it, and the doctor told me to do what I just described.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:02 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• His foreskin shouldn't be retracted at all. My sons have had red & swollen foreskin a few times -- usually diaper rash or bug bites (mosquitoes are REALLY clever around here! lol)

Whatever you do, make sure you get a Dr who has half a brain. I got an idiot when my oldest was 2. He was having trouble peeing & the first thing she did was retract his foreskin, tore him in 3 places, and then blamed THAT on his pain -- like they'd been there all along (how in the hell does a child tear the INSIDE of his foreskin?!?)

Turns out he had a bladdar infection -- had nothing to do with his foreskin -- but because of her incompetance, he was in severe pain for over a week while it healed.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I've poured water over it, then dabbed it, then put aquaphor and it seems to be getting worse and spreading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my son is circumsized but still sometimes gets a little red...i just clean his penis good every other change, not to irritate it.

but..

that sounds bad---if it was minor put some petroleum jelly on it...but this sounds like he needs some meds and extra care..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• he was circumsized, but its like they left alot of forskin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Good idea in taking him to urgent care, my son had similar issues but not nearly that bad. He would get an adhesion from his foreskin to the tip of his penis if it wasn't pulled back and cleaned with each diaper change. Now, no matter what, I put vaseline around it with each diaper change to keep it from sticking.
    (When I pulled it apart from the adhesion, the skin was broken underneath. I'm sure it hurt the poor guy to pee. :( Good Luck.)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• So wait...is he circumcized or not?? I was not going to respond because I thought you were talking about an uncircumcized child and I don't have the knowledge of caring for those, but then you mentioned that he was. If he IS circ'ed then its most likely an adhesion. When a boy is circ'ed they have to take just the right amt of skin to make it do right and if they leave a little, its not bad, but it can cover the penis and make it look like its not there or like hes NOT circ'ed. If not retracted on a daily basis, then it reattaches to the head. If that happens, then usually the doctor will retract it for you, but if he was playing with it, or even it got bacteria under it, then it can get red and swollen and infected. If you see pus, then its likely that its infected. It needs vaseline to keep any more bacteria off of it and the doc needs to look. She might give him an antibiotic if its bad enough. Poor guy. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009