My 3 1/2 year old daughter is terrified to drink out of a cup.

She has in the past spilled juice on herself. From that day foward she won't drink out of a cup or even hold it unless it has a lid. She drinks out of a sippy with a straw, but if it doesn't have a lid with a straw she outright refuses. She starts preschool next week where they have no straws and if she's thirsty she has to drink out of a cup without a lid or straw. Can anyone help me with situation? Please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put her in a bathing suit, take her outside, have her practice with water. You "practice" too, and spill it on yourself from time to time and make it fun.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yep, bathtub and swimming pool practice.
    And try having a water fight with her in the backyard. Let her know it's ok to get wet, especially with just water. And let her know that she can still have juice and milk in a cup with a lid if she prefers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i would take her to the store and let her pick out a cup she like with out a lid and make it her cup. or if u pick it out make sure its of a favorit cartoon caracter or a favorit color...personally i did the tough love methed...but not everyone agrees with it.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• SWasson - excellent advice. I was coming on here to post the same. My child has a lot of anxiety about her abilities and it helps so much to show her that it's ok to mess up. I've always had to re-assure her in coloring in the lines, potty-training, and sports. You child needs to feel confident in her abilities and that comes with practice and gentle help.
    shakesrear

Answer by shakesrear at 3:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009