can I have some c section info please

I'm having a c section on the 22nd, I'm currently 37 weeks (this is my second child) I am really worried about the c section, mainly afterwards cleaning the incision, Is it hard to clean/does it hurt? Also during the c section, whats going on?

LCmommyof2

Asked by LCmommyof2 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had a c-section 6 months ago. the procedure itself wasn't too bad, except for they did my epidural wrong so i could feel them stictching me up. MAKE SURE you cannot feel a thing not even tingling sensation when they do yours.

they doctors are usually very friendly and supportive. the nurse stood by me and held my hand and rubbed my forehead, also explained every step of the procedure. just remember to stay calm and breathe and you will be fine.

cleaning isn't a big issue depending on how they do it. mine was done with little pieces of tape that fell off on their own about a month later. my baby was 10 lbs so it was very hard to care for her especially since 9 lbs is the cut off after a c-section. the pain for me was excruciating after the first few days, but it gets better each day and the pain meds they give you help tremendously. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had a c-section and it was not bad at all. I went in thinking it was going to be the worse pain ever and it was not bad. I ended up with no pain meds afterwards cause it didnt hurt (it didnt feel great either but it really was not bad at all). I was told to clean the incision with soap and water when I took a shower. During the c-section I had a spinal block. That made me really really sick. I threw up for hours afterwards. but by evening I was better. I didnt feel a think with the spinal block just some tugging. The whole thing lasted about a half hour. Good Luck mama.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It isnt hard to clean. Just soap and water and it will be a little sensitive but now that bad really. The worst part is getting out of bed for the first time. Its all up hill from there... During the C-section you will hear people talking around you and will feel pressure and at that pount the hardest part is staying calm. But everything will be fine. I heard them say scouple and that freaked me out but I never felt it touch me and kept wondering when they were gonna cut me open -- they already had lol. While they are finishing up they will let you see the baby and will lay him or her on your chest if the baby is doing well. thent hey will take him or her to the nursery. You will stay in recovery for an hour or two and during that time I just pretty much slept the whole time. I had had 25 hours of labor before hand lol. And then they take you to your room and you get to start bonding with baby. They want you up and about...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 11:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• with in a few hours and that part is really hard. But they will show you how to clean everything and take care of it yourself but will help you later if you need it. And you just take it one day at a time until you are at your best again.... Looking back it wasn't so bad... actually... it wasn't very good lol but I would do all of it a hundred times for my daughter... Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 11:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Has your doctor warned you about the risks in c-section to you and baby? I have had 3. I would suggest googleing the words c-section risks. There are a lot of things they do not tell you. Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The C/s itself isn't so bad; they'll probably give you a spinal block, then wait a few minutes for it to kick in and ask if you can feel anything (my doc said he was pinching me really hard with some tongs, and all I felt was a little pressure). It just takes a few minutes for them to get the baby out, then another 30-45 to make sure your uterus is contracting properly and stitch you back up; the whole thing usually takes about an hour. Cleaning afterwards isn't too hard, it'll just be a little gingerly for a week or two. I don't think they use stitches very often any more, so you probably won't have to worry about yanking those out or anything; they used medical super glue on mine, and it required no special care at all. It will hurt to lift your stomach up to get to the incision, but only for a couple of weeks. And be sure to keep it dry, rolling up a washcloth and putting it there helps a lot with that and the pain.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Thank you all for you responses, I am still nervous of course but all of you are helping put me to ease, I do not know risks of c section, are there common problems? I'll check into it, thank you.
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2009