Is "ungrateful" a typical thing for

a 5 year old or is it all in how the child is raised/treated? Our 5 year old (my SS)looks at me last night and says about dinner, "How many times have I TOLD you that I don't like apricots?" I told him he should be grateful he has food on his plate and I don't make meals just to accomodate him. It's not just this though - he acts ungrateful over almost EVERYTHING. It doesn't help that we live with MIL and she spoils the heck outta him and lets him get away with everything when we aren't around. Daddy doesn't really seem to care if his son acts like a spoiled brat. I try my best to get SS to say Thank You when he's given stuff, no matter who it is or what it is. How do we get this kid to appreciate stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Family conference is in order,including Grandma. I would say immediately. He is too indulged if he doesn't appreciate anything. If he is rude, he leaves the table or apologizes to the person that gave him the horrid apricots. He is little now. Get it in check. We have enough spoiled people in our society. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think that can be typical behavior for his age.

I have a DD and 2 stepdaughters before we all eat a meal together as a family...
    each one of us tells all of us something that they are grateful for...

My DD who just turned 5 said on Sunday that she was grateful for her meal.
    I fell in love with her again..

Did she really understand her words---maybe not just yet...
    but I want my children to learn that they are lucky to have the food, roof and clothes on their back.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• ha my SDis 10 and still like this.... good luck..

is the mother in the picture?
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think you need to get the childs father on board with helping him learn some manners and how to be respectful. If the dad dosent care and you are the only one trying to help there will be problems later on. I woul also be looking to move out and away from the mother in law.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Personally, I think you need to sit Dad down and find out if he even realizes how his son acts. That is an unacceptable remark for any child to make to an adult! I know how my SO can tune things out he doesn't want to hear or deal with at a certain moment, maybe your man is doing the same? Whatever the case, some kind of ground rules as to respecting others should be set.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009