my 10 week old is eating fruits..

anyone else out there who has started your 2 month old on fruit yet? i started psylee on pears about 1 week ago and i gave her just pears mixed in with her rice cereal for a week and just yesterday i started her on apples. she LOVES them! and shes sooo cute eating. i do feed her with a spoon. i've also heard that babies that eat the cereal through the bottle tend to be heavier, is this true? but yeah i get a lot grief about it.. people telling me "OMG shes too young! you shouldn't be feeding her like that until shes at least 5 months!" but shes FINE! she's such a good eater, and she's at a very healthy weight for her age. so i don't see a problem with it. just wondering if anyone out there is doing the same. =]

psylees_mommy

Asked by psylees_mommy at 11:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started my daughter on solids at about 2 monthes old too she took them just fine is healthy and on the right weight track.We took a break from solids for about a month when she was over that growth spurt and then at 4 monthes started her regularly on them again. She wouldnt eat cereal so I have been giving her baby food and formuala ever since and she is alittle over 5 monthes old now :)
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• She kind of IS a little too young, actually. Her digestive tract is not mature enough to support solid foods yet.

But you're going to do what you want to do regardless. I started my daughter on solids at four months, and people have given me hell over that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree --- 2 months is too young for anything except breastmilk and/or formula. Solids shouldn't be started 'til about 4 months at the earliest. It can cause some pretty bad digestive problems & damage.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yikes! She shouldnt even be eating rice cereal. You should not start her on this until at least 4 months, then at 6 months is when she can eat stage 1 foods. Her tummy isnt ready for this. By feeding her this early, you can cause reactions, and allergies to foods.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• She is pretty young for fruits, they tend to be acidic and tough on their disgestive system, which isn't mature enough. If you really want to feed her solids you should give her rice or bananas even.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yeah, that is waaayyyyy too young for a baby to start eating fruits and vegetables. You do understand that you are going to have keep this up and go to vegetables soon. Her digestive tract is not ready for solids. I think people who start feeding their babies solids so young are just trying to make their babies sleep through the night. The younger the baby is the more likely they are to develop food allergies.

Anonymous

• My DH gave my DS a banana (of all things) at a little over 3 months. Once hubby peeled me off the ceiling, he agrued the our parents survived on more than breast milk. I really had nothing to retaliate his agrument-so my son gets the occasional fruit & he has not had any problems. In fact, he is crazy regular and loves the food. My only suggestion is if you go that route, make sure the items are itty bitty remember her throat is only about the size of her pinky finger.
    Dorris1203

Answer by Dorris1203 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• anonymous-thats not true in my case i didnt feed my baby solids just to make her sleep through the night she was already doing that when i started and the only allergy i just came across for her at 5 months old is blueberries in the applesauce
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• 10 weeks is to young for cereal and fruits..at that age they should only have breast milk or formula.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009