Do you think gay parenting has an effect on a child?

I was watching True Life: I Have Gay Parents yesterday¬iced the following:
-The girl who had 2 fathers was really femine and so up & cherry like a girl is looked at to be (excited about prom, college, & pretty hair)
-The girl who had a gay mom (not sure if the mom had a partner was watching the last mins of it) was also gay(you can say butch like her mom)
-The boy who had 2 moms seemed to be really preppy&clean

I have a boss who got married, had a son&divorced his wife(back then he knew he was gay but got married only because he wanted a kid)He had full custody of his son&later was openly gay&his son turned out to be gay too

Do you think having gay parents had an effect on their choice of sexuality? What are ur thoughts?

One thing for sure was that these parents loved their kids so much and really showed to be into to their kids, not like how my parents didn't give a rats ass about any extra curricular activity

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you think having gay parents had an effect on their choice of sexuality? What are ur thoughts?

I don't think it has an effect on their sexuality, but i think that children of gay parents are genreally more tolerant which is a GREAT thing!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Just because they have gay parents DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL ULTIMATELY TURN OUT GAY THEMSELVES.
    Anonymous

• Current research shows that children with gay and lesbian parents do not differ from children with heterosexual parents in their emotional development or in their relationships with peers and adults. It is the quality of the parent/child relationship and not the parent’s sexual orientation that has an effect on a child’s development. Contrary to popular belief, children of lesbian, gay, or transgender parents:

Are not more likely to be gay than children with heterosexual parents.
    Are not more likely to be sexually abused.
    Do not show differences in whether they think of themselves as male or female (gender identity).
    Do not show differences in their male and female behaviors (gender role behavior).
    Anonymous

• 55 gay or bisexual men were recruited who reported on 82 sons at least 17 years of age. More than 90% of sons whose sexual orientations could be rated were heterosexual. Furthermore, gay and heterosexual sons did not differ on potentially relevant variables such as the length of time they had lived with their fathers. Results suggest that any environmental influence of gay fathers on their sons' sexual orientation is not large. (PsycINFO Database Record. Copyright © 2002 by the American Psychological Association. All rights reserved.)
    Anonymous

• The vast majority of gay people have two straight parents. So maybe the question that you should be asking is: does having straight parents make you gay?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• def not. my mother is gay. and although i hate her girlfriend more than anything, i am cool with my moms lifestyle choice and it has if anything made me more open to all types of people. and very accepting to gays.
    I got picked on a little in highschool cause we stayed in a small town. but it never bothered me. all kids are sometimes picked on for many things. i just dealt with it. and i am out of school now and not messed up at all. lol
    ethankaschsmom

Answer by ethankaschsmom at 12:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• "The vast majority of gay people have two straight parents. So maybe the question that you should be asking is: does having straight parents make you gay?"

That's funny. Not haha funny.... ironic funny. Its so true.

My personal opinion, which I know doesn't mean a rats ass, is that YES.... it will absolutely have an effect on the child, but the effects don't show consistency. For instance, one child of a gay parent may be rebellious and outspoken, possibly due to always struggling with his/her parents sexuality, while anoter child will become introverted for the same reason.

Anonymous

• I think that what type of environment a child is in can greatly affect who they become. But it can't make them gay or lesbian. The little girl who was so feminine, already was feminine, she would have been no matter what type of parents she had. She just happened to have parents that encouraged it and so she blossomed.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i think as long as a child has someone that loves them unconditionally, gives them food, clothing and shelter and plenty of love and some discipline it doesn't matter if they have two moms, two dads, a mom and a dad, one mom no dad or one dad no mom does no0t make you gay or straight. I think like hair color, eye color, bone structure gay is something in your genetic makeup and not from environment.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You are born either gay or straight so having gay parents does not mean you will grow up and be gay.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2009