Someone said, "You don't need to be very smart to be a soldier". What do you think?

How about the Military Moms and Wives, How does that make you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I'm not a military mom or wife, but I did four years in NJROTC in high school and came in contact with hundreds of military personnel. I used to have the impression that all soldiers were stupid, but it's SO not true. Especially in the Navy and Air Force, holy hell, for most jobs you have to be a genius to even be considered for them. I think the military is just as varied as regular life is. There are smart people and there are not-so-smart people. But to call ALL soldiers stupid is very ignorant.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think it is a statement of ignorance.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Some idiot said that so there you go.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My husband served 34 years and is brilliant. Some of the brightest people in the world are in the military. I would like to meet this person and see if he or she failed kindergarten.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well, evidently you don't have to be that smart to have diarrhea of the mouth, huh?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

i totally agree with you. i think that people take what military personnel do and really take it for granted it. i feel that if you did not serve then you should not get the same freedoms as those who have served. but the only people that seemed to be getting bashed are those putting their lives on the line everyday for the freedoms that so many Americans take for granted.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Someone said, "You don't need to be very smart to be a soldier".

That "Someone" needs to try it for a few days! Or maybe that "someone" would like to try to re-learn how to use the computer with one hand, or how to tie her shoes or button her shirt or pull up and fasten her pants after going to the bathroom with one hand after losing the other in combat!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Many years ago this statement could have been true. The military is very selective now. Not only are these people very intelligent, but also very resourceful.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It is offensive, but I think it rings true for some people. We knew some grunts with no common sense, no fear, no job skill. They were just proud to be grunts-which is great & I appreciate their service but that statement holds some truth. I'm not sure what they would have done in the civilian world. **one guy in particular who was a mechanic with my husband, was so excited to get hand grenades-couldn't wait to blow things up. Let's just say Special Ed as he was called, wasn't issued any & that was probably best for unit & civilian safety. Gotta love the Corps.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

have you ever wondered if maybe a lot of soldiers act a certain way so that they wont get deployed? if they act dumb enough then their command believes that they not safe to have on the battle field. so a lot of it is an act.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009