• In the Spotlight:

Toddler still walking with arms in the air

So my son has been walking since Mothers day, and everyday he gets a little better, and braver. How long do kids walk with their arms up to help with balance? Is this normal? Also, he will only really walk if he can pull himself up on something, only has stood up in the middle of the room twice, is this normal? How long before your child could do this?

NAT24ROXY24

Asked by NAT24ROXY24 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It really varies but it can take many months before a child is comfortable enough to carry something in his hands or walk with his hands down instead of out for balance. That's perfectly normal.
    It also takes a while for him to build up his confidence in his ability to establish his balance all on his own - without something to hold on to.

If he's still "toddling" at Christmas, talk to your doctor. If he's still not getting up and down on his own at Halloween, talk to your doctor.

Otherwise, let him explore and develop both his muscles and confidence at his own pace.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think he is doing just fine! :) Sounds perfectly normal to me. I agree with everything that kaycee14 said. And before you know it he is going to be into everything and your going to have to readjust all your "baby profing" LOL Have fun with it. My daught took her first steps in the middle of the floor one day, did it a few times, then she wouldnt do it again for like a WEEK! LOL! they are all different but it sounds like he is doing great! Have fun with it and keep your camera/video camera handy! :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009