Fight a cold before you get it?

Is there a way to get rid of a cold before you get it? Besides the obvious, eat right and all that blah blah (LOL j/k) is there a way to get rid of it before it over takes you? I am going on a 13 day road trip in 2 days (tomorrow night we leave). I started to feel that tell tail scratchiness in the back of my throat this morning and was wondering how I can keep this at bay or even nip it in the butt? I got it from my 9.5 months old DD who has been sick for almost 5 days now with the first two accompanied by a fever! :( I would love to NOT spend have my trip battling a cold!

DirtyMonkey

Asked by DirtyMonkey at 11:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• I swear to you, every single time we go on vacation I get a cold like 2 days before we leave. So over the years I have tried everything to keep it from taking hold or from getting worse. 1-get some antibiotics from your doctor to take with you just in case. 2- Start drinking loads of OJ right now 3-Put all of your cold meds in your bag because you may need it 4- Eat lots of fruits and veggies (fresh would be better) 5-try that Zicam cold prevention stuff (I tried it but it didn't work for me, but it might for you. Good luck honey!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My fail proof method for never getting sick is to take an echinachea supplement every day. It's an all natural supplement, but it is proven in preventing colds and also in cutting down the amount of time you are sick. I usually get sick over fall/winter, right in the middle of a semester! I took echinachea this year and even though I was around people who were sick, I did not get sick. Just taking a daily vitamin and echinachea every so often will boost your immune system. Hope you feel better soon.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 12:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• An over-the-counter vitamin powder that you mix in your drink is awesome for me. Its call EMERGEN-C. its just 100% vitamin c
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Vitamin C out the butt and Echinacea and Goldenseal at double the recommended dose always works for me as soon as I feel that little tickle. If anyone in our house comes home with a cold/flu then everyone, including sick one, gets loaded up with vitamin C and echinacea/goldenseal and the other's usually don't get it or not as bad.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009