How do you tell someone very nice that you just DONT CARE?!?!?!

I have a friend that feels it necessary to call me all the time and tell me what she is doing. She just called me to tell me she is going to be busy today and wont be calling me till later tonight. I just want to scream "SO WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?? I DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW EVERY FART YOU LET THROUOUT THE DAY!!!" She is a friend, but this is really gettting to me. Can anyone please help?? I want to tell her in the nicest way I can to stop calling me just to tell me she is going to be busy all day. It is not my business. HELP!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• People are so hilarious. I have 2 pieces of advice, but with the word count you may only get one...

Stop giving her information about her calls -- she is not listening, or not capable of understanding. Instead, train her to call you at a time that you're okay with, or to wait for you to call back. I strongly recommend an answering machine and call display. Set the machine to pick up after one ring. Tell everyone you know that you're screening all of your calls and only ever answer the phone when you've decided it's 'okay' for her to call. Inside a week she'll 'get' that she gets the machine except between 2:30 and 3 every other day. Really -- people train quickly.

If you can't use technology, just train her -- answer everything she says that you don't want to talk about with 'mmm' and 'oh?' and everything you do want to talk about with enthusiastic, engaged feedback.

She's hurting for attention. Use that knowledge.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Read between the lines. She is basically telling YOU not to call HER because she will busy. You probably would call her and by her not wanting to be rude she would most likely answer your call thus ruining her busy day. ; }
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• "Girl you don't have to call me and tell me that" {lol}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• That is the thing I dont call her much at all anymore. Maybe once a day and that is usually at night.
    Anonymous

• Well you know your friend more than anyone else. Whatever type of personality she has than you would know how to approach her. But you are going to have to tell her. Kind of stick it in a conversation, don't make a big deal out of it. Short and sweet. Damn my Mother is like that also...good luck
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have friends that i speak with and we don't call one another EVERYDAY. So why is it important it to you, to call her everynight?! Don't call her and maybe she will get the hint, If she calls you then don't answer or answer and tell her you will talk to her later that your busy right now. She will get the hint sooner or later.
    Anonymous

• Why pick up the phone every time? If its important she'll leave a message. There are a million excuses, I turned the ringer down cause the kids were napping, I must have been in the laundry room, I was blow drying my hair, using the vacume, in the shower....or you were just plain busy. I HATE talking on the phone and rarely answer it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Oh no she will not get the hint. She will call me right before I go to bed crying because I am "mad at her since I have not called her all day" I have tried to distance myself from her, but she jsut isnt taking the hint. I dont always call her. Most of the time I do it so that she does not call me crying that I dont want to talk to her anymore. I think she is a very clingy person and just cant figure out how to get away.
    Anonymous

• she knows I dont answer the phone all the time. I mean hell I pay the bill, that does not mean I HAVE to answer it every time it rings. I have told her that on about a MILLION times. If I dont answer the phone when she calls she will wait about 30 minutes and call right back. If after about 3 calls I still have not answered she will come to my house. One morning I was sleeping in and just did not want to answer it she called 3 times in 10 minutes. I finally answered it and went off. Telling her to stop calling me so early that the baby keeps me up sometimes and I would like to sleep in.
    Anonymous

• introduce her to cafemom?
    she needs more friends, she sounds lonely
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009