Being on SSI and Married!!!

I have been married and been on SSI and my health goes back and forth. I have quite a few health issues, but my husban works and works really hard. He is stuck working at a crappy job because of my and the SSI.. we are both afraid of losing the SSI not becasue of the money but the medical, I have a pacemaker in my stomach and with out the medical we can afford all the doc bills and care that goes along with all my issues. Has anyone gotten off SSI and how did you handle the medical part. People told me to divorce and just live toghther but I am proud of being married for 13 years and I know it is just a piece of paper but there has to be some other way to deal with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• My sister recieves SSI, and Social Security. And she is married they told her that even though the income they recieve is too much for her to receive a check, sometimes if you have a hard time paying medical bills they will still let you keep your medical card
    Anonymous

• I think staying on S.S.I. is the best choice because of your medical needs and it's a continnual income,it won't stop like job lay offs or whatever.I'm on it and it's a sacrifice because in my state I can only work part-time but to have it always coming in is worth it.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 10:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009