Are low dose birth control pills less effective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• you have to take them at the exact same time everyday. There is a larger chance of getting pregnant if you don't. They are usually given to nursing mothers so their milk is not diminshed by the regular pills.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes they are less effective and it is even more critical to take the estrogen only pill at the same exact time every day and not miss any days. As the other women said they are usually given to nursing women. Now if you just mean the newer pills that have come out in the last 20-30 years that are still combo pills then no they are not less effective when taken properly.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• NO, they are not any less effective than higher dose birth control pills. They have the same effictiveness. I have been on low dose BC since my son was born 13 years ago and I read and reread the pamphlet on a regular basis and the effectiveness is the same. You have to take ANY BC pill at the same time everyday to be properly effective. The low dose BC I am on has the 99.9 % effectiveness just like the higher doses, when taken properly. (Which BTW is the same as any other, READ the pamphlet that comes with the pills.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There still combo birth control pills. It's Aviane 28 havn't started yet I have read the pamphlet have just heard other wise. Are they less effective if taken within a half hour of the regular time?
    Anonymous