If a father doesn't have to pay child support, do I still have to let him have visitation?

My kid's father was told that he didn't have to pay child support down at the child support office.So do I still have to let him visit his child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Those are completely seperate issues, so I would assume he has visitation rights.

I'm curious as to WHY he doesn't have to pay support, though. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't let him unless a court told you you have too.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would talk to a lawyer about it...I have the same issue except he has to pay support but doesnt want to see his child....if there is nothing thats court ordered you dont have to a darn thing....just make sure you talk to your lawyer or something bc he can come back and nail you in the butt later since you wont let him see the child...good luck
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If visitation is court ordered then yes he get's to see his child. They are seperate issue's and should be that way, I understand that the child support is important to you, but it has very little meaning to a child, children only want to know who thier parents are. Keep your issue and his issue's seperate from the child, you will be doing him/her (the child) a favor.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you have sole custody of the child then he would need to petition the court for visitation rights or splitting custody. I've been down this road a few times with my husband and him trying to get joint custody. If he has no custody do you know why he's not being ordered to pay child support? that's odd.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's not a pay for play situation. Child support is not a fee for visitation rights. They are separate. I would say that it's best for your children to be able to see their father anyway, as hard as it is you would be doing them a great service by making it seem as though you are friends.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• why not if that the only reason why you wouldn't let your child see the dad then i think that's messed up. Everyone needs their dad.
    Anonymous

• This happened to my cousin her childs father became mentally disabled and the judge said he didnt have to pay any child support. So the father got an attorney and asked for visitation and yes she had to let him see the child every other weekend and weeks in the summer.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yes you do, like the others said, they are 2 completely separate issues. The child support/money issue is and adult issue && the child isn't going to understand why he can't see his dad just b/c he isn't giving mommy any money. Now don't get me wrong, I hate it too. I have a baby's daddy that has never paid child support && he was still seeing him up until he was 5 mos old. I have filed for child support, but I'm still not receiving anything, but it is his choice as to why he hasn't seen my son for a year && a half, not mine.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes, please enlighten us as to under what circumstances a man does not legally have to pay support? I agree, support is not paying to have visitations. It is to compensate for the fact that that persons income is no longer in the home. So unless you have signed off on support he should have to pay.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009