How can I get my toddler to leave her hairstyle alone?

My 20 month old has beautiful hair, but if I don't put it in a ponytail or pig tails or something, it get scraggly and mats together. Problem is, when I put her hair up into a style, she pulls it out after only a few minutes. I'm at my wits end with trying to keep her hair up!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think its possible unless you can bribe her with a story or a toy..even then she will probably forget all about it in an hour and mess her hair up.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Distract her. I do my baby hair shes 18 months 19 this week and she crys and yells while im doing it but oh well and as soon as im done she trys to pull it out so i just yell and say oooo look look look the bird or something anything to keep her from remebring her hair. lol see if that works or try saying ooo your soooo beeuuuttiiffuuul!!
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 12:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Oh yeah, she loves to hear how beautiful she is. Unfortunately, that makes her touch her hair... ugh... I can't win. LOL
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My sil is struggling with the same thing. My neice is 22 mos. She pulls it down. Its one of those things that youre just going to have to choose to either fight the battle or not fight it. If you choose to fight it, you must be consistent and firm giving clear consequences such as holding her hands and telling her no. Distraction is good. Be willing to keep putting it back up. Its going to be a fight and shes going to be determined to win, but this battle will get easier as she gets older and understands more of why you want her hair up. My best friend make sure that with her second daughter, she stopped giving her a choice about clothing until she was older. At 2 yrs old, she didnt want her telling her what she was and wasnt going to wear. She likes to buy her nice cute boutique clothes and her child wants to dress in t shirts and shorts everyday...LOL. She just made her do it her way. Its a fight though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It will get better in time trust me! I have 5 kid's and all of them did it. Now my little girl loves her up all pretty,and my older boy's love to have their spikes up,I am still working on my 2 year old he is getting better every day he wants to fix my hair now.
    LiLMamma81

Answer by LiLMamma81 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My little one was the same way. we just kept telling her no, dont tough. eventually she stopped pulling it out. But we still ahve a problem with Clips.
    LianasMomma

Answer by LianasMomma at 12:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• lol...its a hopeless battle even when they get older they will still be doing the samething...my suggestion to u is carry a little brush with u and brush her hair a couple times a day...that what i have to do for my dd and she has long nautral cruly hair
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 5:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009