32 weeks pregnant... How would I know if I had a heart condition?

I've always had heart palpitations for as long as I can remember. Sometimes my heart would speed up really fast for no reason and sometimes it would skip a beat or a couple beats in a row. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said that since I'm pregnant, there's not really anything they can do about it right now, because no cardiologist would take it seriously because I'm pregnant and a lot of pregnant women experience heart palpitations. The skipping has been worse since I've been pregnant.

Anyways, I always feel dizzy all the time and it makes my heart race. All throughout the day. I'm not anemic, diabetic and I don't have preeclampsia. Dr said it could be heart related... Does ANYONE know anything about heart conditions and pregnancy? What if it turns up that I have something wrong with my heart? What are some different types of heart conditions? I'm so afraid of dying in labor and now even more so. (I'm 21, btw.)

Enembe

Asked by Enembe at 12:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm 21 as well and 30 weeks pregnant. I know what you are talking about. I've experienced weird heart palpitations my whole life too. Where it feels like my heart stops beating for a second and I almost have to gasp for air. I've never said anything to my doctor about it though, but it has gotten worse since I've been pregnant. Sometimes when I'm just standing my heart will start to race and I'll get out of breath. I wouldn't worry about dying in labor. If you are worried you can tell the nurses and your doctor your symptoms and they can monitor you a little closer. If they noticed anything out of the ordinary or a problem, I'm sure they would take the steps to make sure you were ok. I do know a faster heartrate and shortness of breath is common in pregnancy, but after the baby is born, you can always get your heart checked out. I wouldn't worry.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have had those all my life as well. They had me hooked up to all sorts of machines while I was in labor with my first, but my heart didn't do it's "thing" in the whole 24 hours of being in labor and being monitored. I don't get it.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Im 20 and pregnant and ended up in the er with a heart rate of 210. My heart would not slow down for an hour and they had to reset my heart with a shot. This happened three different times. The drs ran test left and right and could not find anything wrong with my heart. Im a healthy weight and have no other history of problems. The most that the drs told me to do was that when my heart gets to beating that fast i will have chest pains and to call 911. Because if your having high rate speed you are not getting the right blood flow to the baby. The drs just don't seem that worried about it because they said that pregnancy can bring on problems. My ob wants to do a c section so that way i won't put the added stress to my heart and cause me to have heart problems.
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You're fine--you won't die in labor, don't worry. They'll monitor your heart the whole time and midwife or doctor, they'll know what to do if anything goes wrong with your heart. I have had the same thing you're describing and it got worse in pregnancy and then you know what? It cleared up after my first daughter was born. It all but disappeared until I was pregnant with my second daughter. And now that she's born, it's gone again.

I know how scary what you're talking about is, though. To feel your heart stop and then that thud when it starts up again--and I don't know about you, but it hurts me, like someone punched me.

As for tachycardia (heartrate over 100bpm)--I've had that for years, too, and it also vanished after I gave birth. And it never gave me big issues.

Dizziness is a symptom of pregnancy and is normal. Don't worry about it too much and learn deep breathing exercises for labor and you'll do just fine.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 6:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009