Receiving papers from credit card company?

The Sherrif's department just came to our door to serve papers to my husband from Chase bank. They didn't leave the papers or anything because he is out of town and said they would come back and try again when he gets back in town.

I believe this is from an old credit card he had before we met. I don't know what the amount is he owes and in the past after we met he did pay some on it but had to stop because of no money and then unemployment.

I know we have not received any letters from them in a while.

I am assuming they will probably try to garnish his wages now that he is working again.

My question is what is the most that can happen? If it is for garnishment what is the most they can take out? Is it out of each check or monthly?

We live in Georgia.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you know his personal information you can go here

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

and get a copy of all 3 credit reports & see what it is for & how much. As for your questions I have no clue. I am sure it would be so much out of every check.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He will more than likley have to go to court. He will have to show his pay stub and they will decide what to take out based on his income. They can only take out a certain percentage. It will come out every time he gets paid until the debt is paid off.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He gets paid twice a week MOST times, but not always.

What happens if he can't make it to court? He is out of town several weeks out of the month?
    Anonymous

• This would be a very good time to file personal bankruptcy.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• They can take a percentage of each check and your tax return. The best thing he can do is contact them and see if he can work out a settlement. He owes the money he should try to pay it back. I have been through hard times lost a job and had debt. I worked with the companies and got through it all with my credit intact. Burying your head in the sand and not dealing with it leads to this. You can file bankruptcy but with the new laws you may not be able to if he can make payments. I would tell him he needs to deal with this. Sucks but life is not always easy when we are adults.
    Anonymous

• If he is the head of household THEY CAN'T TAKE ANYTHING!!
    Don't let them bully you. Also how old is the debt, in Georgia after 4 years the statute of limitations takes over and they can't do anything. If he has dependants and a stay at home wife they have no ground to stand on,,,,,get the book "Debt Cures" by Kevin Trudeau It saved my life (and about $100 grand)
    Good Luck
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If he cany go to court they will likley just make a judgement against him. As far as if he is the head of household they cant do anything thats simply untue my cousin stays at home they have kids and he is the only worker but they still garnish his checks for debts.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• First of all relax- for all you know he might only owe a couple hundred dollars.
    If I were you, I'd start saving cash as fast as possible. When you do go to court (or hopefully before) make an offer to the credit card company- say for 1/3 or the current amount owed. Get it in writing, send them a cashiers check, and do not give them any of your checking account information.

As you probably know, they have to take you to court before they can garnish your wages. By Federal law they can only take up to 25% of your disposable income.

Wiki has some good started information about Garnishments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnishment

Also check out the Dave Ramsey fans group, for advice and tips. You'll be fine.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009