HELP! BABY SLEEP ISSUES!

I am up all night with my 2 week old. It's ridiculous. I change her, breastfeed her, spend two to three hours trying to put her back to sleep by rocking her, burping her, changing positions, walking with her and then she's hungry again and I start all over. I am pulling out my hair, I am so frustrated! I have no one that I can turn to for help to relieve myself from her and I'm down to 2 hours of sleep, 3 if I'm lucky. I can't sleep during the day because I have a 2 yr old who doesn't nap.

shellrequen

Asked by shellrequen at 1:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Welcome back to newborn land! This is pretty typical, unfortunatley, and you can't "make" a newborn sleep if they don't want to. If you're not already co-sleeping, START. It's a lifesaver. You just plop out the breast and go back to dozing while she does her thing, and you don't need to sit up truying to get her to go back to sleep.

Dump anything not strictly needed for survival. Let Dad handle that stuff.

Is there anyone who can take your older child off your hands for an hour or so a day?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Welcome to having a newboorn! You said you have a two year old, do you not remember the sleepless nights? LOL :) It will get better. This is totaly normal. But you could try putting her in bed with you adn BF her laying down, that way you may be able to at least get more rest.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yes typical newborn! it wont last. a newborn's tummy is very small so they will be hungry often, and cry an awful lot. it wont last! your baby will fall into a schedule soon enough! just keep doing what your doing as tiring as it is! i only have one baby so far, but can imagine "forgetting" what newborns are like after 2 years! lol hang in there =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son is 18 days old and the trick I've used with him is to feed him around 1130ish or so then sponge bath (although his cord thingy just fell off so now we are doing regular baths, but not daily.) and rock him a bit, he generally sleeps until about 7-8am that way. I know what you're going thru, I have a 4 year old, so napping during the day isn't an option. GL!!!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Babies at this age still have their days and nights confused. At night, keep it dim and quiet, and don't speak to the baby. During the day, try to be loud, leave the lights and TV on, etc. Try your best to keep your infant awake in the evening hours so that she will be sleepier at night. There is only so much you can really do though. They will get it eventually, probably in the next week or so.
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 1:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My daughter had her days and nights very messed up. It started getting better at 5/6 weeks. At 7.5 weeks she was going to bed at 11:00 and sleeping till around 5. The only thing we did was to set up a strict night time routine and stuck to it...still do. After about a week fo this, things started getting better. I can not say things were great but it did get better. She was going to bed at 5 am but after the night time routine was set, I could see her getting sleepier earlier and earlier. Just hang in there mama! Boy you have your hands full with a 2 week old and 2 year old.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had the same problem with my dd. I just started bf her in bed with me (just like gdiamante said). I would get her latched onto my breast and go back to sleep (I still do this when she wakes in the middle of the night). You don't get the best quality sleep but it's better than no sleep! Hang in there and it will get better. :)
    rebeccasmommy09

Answer by rebeccasmommy09 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2009