• In the Spotlight:

In todays economy is college a luxary or necessary?

My DH just got accepted into college and feels great about that but looks at the 2 years down the road where he will not be working as a burden on me since i will be the one working and take care of the kids and what not. Neither one of us have jobs right now since we lost them

hotmamaof297062

Asked by hotmamaof297062 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I worked full time as a waitress while taking 23 credits (average student took 15) per quarter. My university had a flat rate after 18 credits, so I squeezed in more classes to my schedule to get a better bang for my buck. I got a job before I graduated in my field. In this day an age, getting a college degree is becoming more and more important. Depending on his age, he might qualify for a pell grant. Also, most offer work study-- which means he does work, but his salary is subsidized by financial aid, so he'll usually make more per hour.

Unfortunately, there aren't as generous financial aid packages for undergraduate degrees, and some degrees will not pay you back. As long as he has long-term plans, and his degree is complementary to those plans, you should both be able to benefit from his efforts today.

Good luck!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• College is always necessary. You can't think in the moment. Sure the economy sucks right now and people with degrees can't even get jobs, but it's not going to stay like this forever. There is nothing more important then an education..........period. If anything, maybe he can get a part time job or even work full time while attending college. I did that as a single mom.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Good for him. I think it's great that he is going to college. Maybe he can get a pt job to help out. My kids are going to college and they both are working also. It isn't impossible and I'm sure it will help you guys out. You just have to do what you have to do. There are so many 1 and 2 yr programs available I see it as a necessity to have some kind of degree or even a certificate. It's also good to know how to do more than one thing these days.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• college is the new high school. Its really hard to go anywhere in your life without it. You practically need an advance degree to make it as it is! There are student loans and grants/scholorships to help you and maybe even especially you. Your life will be so much better if he furthers his education. It sounds like a lot, but 2 years later you won't regret it at all.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 2:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You can't find a decent job WITHOUT a college degree.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009