Is it OK add bleach to your child's bath water

Well, we woke up this morning to find my baby (20 months old) covered in poop. She had pooped during the night, took her diaper off and basically was swimming in it. She was covered from head to toe in poop and there was poop smeared on the walls, her bed, her bed toys, just about every surface. I gave her a bath but she still smells like poop. I used her bath soap and shampooed her hair, but the smell is still there.

My MIL says to add just a tsp of bleach in her bath water to take the smell away and I was just wondering if anyone has done this before I do it. I am desperate!

If you dont have anything nice to say, pls just hit the "BACK" button. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think it's a good idea to put bleach in bath water. Try some bubble bath or something like that. The smell will go away, I promise, my son did this!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't add bleach, what if it gets in her eyes, the smells not good for her lungs either.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Wouldn't do it. It's not safe. Bleach can burn her skin. Wipe her down with a baby wipe and bathe her again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would avoid bleach since it highly irritates the skin, and you don't to risk her ingesting any of it.

I would recommend tomato or lemon juice. That's what's recommended for skunk.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Bleach pls are you kidding me. NOT SAFE AT ALL.
    Anonymous

• Never use bleach directly on a baby's skin. Maybe to wash her toys and bottles.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 1:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No, no, no...NOT safe, not even that little amount. Try some nice scented lotion, or hell even a dab of your perfume.
    Anonymous

• i'd get a scented bubble bath meant for kids. the smell is usually pretty strong and a scented baby wash (they have the lavender etc scents) and just bathe her again. i wouldn't add bleach b/c you never know what could happen.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No way, what if she drank some? I would never consider that. The smell will go away with a couple of washings, spray some perfume in her hair
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• try vinegar
    its food (not the best smell in the world) but its great at neutralizing odors! (thats what is recommended for skunk smell sometimes!)
    ThePopeVI

Answer by ThePopeVI at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009