The Fib

My son will be 4 in August. He has been on a popsicle kick. I really don't care if he has three in a row, it is summer and it is part of being a kid. However, when he is done eating one he will leave the sticky stick wherever he is at the time. It can be the walk outside or right on the floor in the house. So I have been on him to throw them away. The past two times he has had them I have asked him if he has thrown the stick out and he has said "yes". I later find them under a table etc. I even asked him and then said "so if I go outside I won't find the stick on the porch or walk etc?" He sasy "no" and when I look...sure enough there is the stick. Now he gets no popsicles for awhile. We don't lie, so I wonder where he is getting the idea it is ok. I have explained what a fib is and that it is wrong, but it is not getting me far. Any advice?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• No more popcicles for him for a while
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• How about switching tactics. If he wants another one, he has to bring you the stick from the last one as "payment".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• As far a lying... kids under the age of 7 or 8 do not understand the difference between truth, fiction, lies, and what they wish was true. Role play different situations to help teach him this.

Rip a piece of paper right in front of him and then ask him who ripped it. Deny that you did. State that a stuffed animal that's right next to you did it. Ask him if you told the truth. Make up other silly situations like this - even dumping water over your head while splashing in a wading pool and claiming the tree did it. Keep it fun and silly and he'll start to understand.

When he tells you a wild tale about the dog flying to the moon, praise his wonderful imagination and say something like "wouldn't it be wonderful if dogs really could do that?"

When he does tell a story designed to prevent him from getting in trouble, calmly tell him that lies are naughty behavior and make him clean up or fix the problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Kaycee... your examples made me chuckle. You are such a good mom!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you would like healthy popsicle recipes, please contact me!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I like Kaycee's post too!

There are cute books for kids about honesty and telling the truth and they are helpful to read together and then discuss. They are written in a way to help kids understand for their age level.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html   Click on honesty/telling the truth

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009