should i take another labor class?

this is my second baby (within two years) and my husband missed most of this last time cuz he was in iraq. this time he will be here for the whole thing. last time i ended up having an emergency c section and since its so close my dr wants me to have another c section (im still wanting to try vbac, but i know my chances are pretty slim) so the odds are, i wont go into labor. anyway, i was wondering if i should take another labor class with my husband anyway? would it help him understand better? right now since im not really a complainer he thinks this is no big deal and im kinda wondering if he will fully understand when it comes down to it, you know? what do you think?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 1:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would, so that he could be a bigger part of this one. It will amke him feel closer to you and the baby.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i would for his benefit as well. that way if you do end up going into labor he knows what to expect, and most classes cover c-sections as well so he'd know what to expect if you have another c-section.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think labor classes do more for the daddy than the mommy. Your body knows what to do anyway. I think Dad's tend to become frightened or feel like an outsider sometimes. I would not waste my money or time if you are pretty sure you will have a c again. I would concentrate on preparing him for what he is about to witness in the OR. My DH has a strong stomach but was still amazed by the procedure. Said the instruments they used looked midevil.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i think you should try a VBAC...especially if there are no complications in this pregnancy. Why does your doctor want you to have another c-section?

I will be trying a VBAC any day now. I'm 2 days past due. As of yesterday, it has been 18 months since my last c-section (wasn't emergency, wasn't planned...just after 16 hours of augmented non-productive labor)
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• she just wants me to have another one since it has only been 17 months when im due since my last c section. and my first son was 9lbs 14oz and she thinks this one will be too, and i have a tipped pelvis. she said i can try for one but i have to go into labor naturally, progress very quickly, and have a last minuit ultrasound to make sure this one isnt as big as the last one. im definately hoping for a vbac but she says i have to meet all those criteria. the last c section was 8 days post due date, induced labor (by breaking the water) and after 22 hours of labor and another 2 hours of pushing, an emergency c seciton cuz they said he had an infection (which he didnt). he was just too big and not goin anywhere.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009