Can you mix breastmilk and formula?

Can you mix breastmilk and formula in the SAME bottle? I pump at work and breastfeed while at home. Lately I am not pumping enough to keep up with my sons eating scedule while I am at work. Can I mix a little formula with mostly breastmilk?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can. But add the formula first so you mix it right and then pour in the breastmilk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Just what AmiJanell said. Do the formula first and then add your breastmilk. Or you can also stop pumping and only offer the breast in the morning before you leave and the last feeding before bed......just something else to keep in mind.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would give him whatever u pump then give him formula. If for some reason he doesn't finish his bottle and u have to throw it away at least u aren't throwing away breastmilk!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes, that's what I did for my twins. I mixed all the formula for a day in a big pyrex measuring cup and then added whatever breastmilk I had and poured it into bottles.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yes you can,in fact thats what i do just make sure you put the formula in the bottle first.
    christinaP2

Answer by christinaP2 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes you can. I have this same issue with my dd occasionally. I always mix the formula in a separate bottle to begin with and just add what I need to make up what I wasn't able to pump. She's done just fine with it now that I found a formula that doesn't upset her stomach.
    rebeccasmommy09

Answer by rebeccasmommy09 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• OP
    I know every baby is different but any suggestions for a formula to try?
    Thank you for all the answers.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 2:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009