How is it that my 26 mth old says yes/no thank yous and excuse me...

but when it comes to making him stop throwing stuff..he wont listen. Omg what a lil punk hes hit all of us up side the head w/matchbox cars....ouch! Is there a way to teach em to stop throwing stuff!! Any tips would be appreciated!

roxxxy

Asked by roxxxy at 2:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him if he throws again you are going to tie his arms down. If he throws...then safety pin his sleeves to hi pants for a 2 minutes. And then let the pins loose. If he continues, then keep him pinned for longer and longer periods. It won't hurt him for his sleeves to be pinned, but, it will frustrate him just enough.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Try teaching him when to throw stuff. For example, with my daughter, I tell her that we only throw stuff outside, and that we are only loud outside. So if she does either of those things inside, I ask her "where are we allowed to do that?" She is quite proud of herself when she knows the answer and then usually quits.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• squish had some great suggestions. When my daughter hits, we say "No,be gentle. That hurts mom" And take her hand and gently tough my face. We started doing this when she would hit the cat. She wasn't being mean. She was trying to pet him. It took 4 or 5 times to get her to remember but it worked. She just recently started hitting us. She thinks she is being funny and playing. You can't expect them to stop right away. Just be patient and gently remind them that they shouldn't do that.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Like the above answers indicate, children under the age of about 5 or 6 are ENTIRELY imitative! Use physical modelling to SHOW behavior and gestures. ... What they see is extremely impressive to them, so take care that they don't see something you don't want them to repeat. (They aren't going to comprehend the difference between kicking a soccer ball and kicking all kinds of other things, for example)

Also, when you are "judging" your child, keep in mind that this age is very permeated with the will-power (it's the only way they can POSSIBLY manage all the exponential learning they are doing in the first years! ). This will-power is in NO WAY under their conscious control - if something catches their attention, they are powerless to stop a will-impulse to interact with it. You can help them keep from getting hurt by noticing everything they are experiencing, and guiding their will or removing the problem object.
    (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I give my 2 yr old plenty of opportunities to throw appropriate things at the appropriate times, much like squish does. I also confiscate anything that gets thrown that he knows he shouldn't throw. How long I take it away for depends on how much damage it might have caused.. :) Most of the time I take it away for an hour or so.

Comically, when I see him pick something up that he looks likely to throw, I'll remind his that if he throws it, I will take it away. Often he'll look at the toy, then just hand it over to me! He knows full well he isn't' suppose to throw it!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• (cont'd)
    But don't blame the child as if ANYTHING they are doing is an intentional act. It is as much a reflex response as blinking at a flash of light.

We as mothers can constructively use this insight about a toddler's relationship to the world. Knowing this secret about the little tyke's will-power - and using it artistically in each situation several times a day - makes a mother's life VERY easy, and fun !

And it removes ALL of that destructive thinking like: "he's testing me", "I have to teach him who's boss", "why isn't my scolding discipline working?!" ,"He won't listen ! " and all that sort of antagonistic hogwash that comes from being clueless about a toddler's true nature.

This misunderstanding causes us to see the mother-child relationship as a battle of wills. How sabotaging of a child's development, and how sad !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Thank you Ladies! :)
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 3:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009