I am about to run out of formula, can I just use something else?

I dont have money till midnight in my account, and I have enough to make one bottle, my babys 6 months old. I have 2 bucks in my account. Can I supplement something else till midnight, I will just go to the 24/7 wal mart then, and get it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• does your baby eat any solid foods? if so you can run to the store and pick up one or two jars, there like 45 cents apiece and there you have it. I had to do this a few times when my son was that age so i understand completely. Or, if your baby is not on solids yet, still go pick up one jar of stage one food and mix it into a bottle with warm water. I know it sounds crazy but as long as its not so thick it cant come through the nipple or so thin its like water, he or she will get nutrition from it. The baby may not like it very much but its something i have found that works. Do it with a fruit or sweet potatoes, those were easier for my boy the few times i had to do it! I hope this helps, let me know!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 2:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Nope.

If you don't know anyone you can borrow from & don't have a helping hands, food bank, or church who can help you out, I'd suggest mixing the formula half-strength so you can get 2 bottles out of it. We had to do that for my son for a while when he had an infection. Baby won't be getting all the nutrients s/he needs, but for the short-term, it's a good fix.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• At 6 months, I would think he could have a little whole milk... I mean, when my dad was little, my grandmother used to mix Carnation Milk and water because they didn't have formula. Like Laura said "for the short term, it's a good fix".
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yeah try Laura's suggestion. Also, pre plan this time. Buy one small can of premade and save it for Emergencies.
    Anonymous

• I would not risk the whole milk thing. I would however if she is 6 months squeak by with a bit of watered down juice if you have it. Are you elligible for WIC? Just asking because I know it is not enough to get a whole months worth of formula but it is enough to make your dollar stretch. Do you have any friends with babies? Or one that would loan you the cash until the morning? Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• What solids has she eaten? Do you have any friends or neighbors with formula or frozen breastmilk that you can borrow?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• call your pediatrician or the hospital. they likely have samples.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 3:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• thank you for your suggestions i dont have a car so samples wont work and i am on wic but those canc ran out a week ago :(
    Anonymous

• If you tell them, maybe a kind hearted nurse can drop by on her way home.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 4:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• mix it 1/2 stength till tommorow
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 6:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009