nursing to sleep?

my son is ebf and 4 months old. i have never ebf before so my question is:

Is it ok to let him fall asleep nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's ok, but do so knowing you're creating a habit of soothing to sleep that requires breastfeeding. This could create future problems with him waking up at night looking to nurse back to sleep even after he no longer needs the nourishment or requiring nursing (or something) at bed time to fall asleep. One way to get around this is to let him drift to near sleep but make sure you're putting him down before he's outcold asleep. if you can get him in still at least groggy but not sleeping, you'll have an easier time getting him to self-soothe later. In the end, though, it's up to you. there are ways to break those habits later when you're both ready. :)
    Anonymous

• I always let my kids fall asleep nursing. It's very soothing to them.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 2:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I nursed all 5 of mine and yes all of them fell asleep while they ate,and yes it was hard on me because every time I would put them down they would get right back up. OMG that was hard but it's over and done with no use crying over spilt milk right.
    LiLMamma81

Answer by LiLMamma81 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009