When is it a good time to take away pacifiers?

I have a 17 month old baby girl.

beckostafin

Asked by beckostafin at 12:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my son I threw away the binky at 6 months he had to cry for a couple of nights but after that he didn't even miss them. At 17 months your just going to have to be strong and throw all of them away. She'll probably cry for it for about 7-10 days but after that I would imagine she'll be fine without it. Remember the longer you wait to do it the harder it's going to be.
    Good Luck
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I took my DD away when she was 11 months old. She had 2 teeth on top, and she was getting 2 on the bottom. I was worried about her teeth being crooked, so I wanted to take it away before she got top and bottoms.....and I was determined to take it away before she turned 1. She cried it out for 3 days and it only took about 15-20 a night. Then it was great. Hasent had it since. Good luck home it helps.
    LisaMarie816

Answer by LisaMarie816 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think that five-six months is a perfect time to ween your child off of the pacifier. It's really helpful within the first 5-6 months and evidentially helps prevent SIDS. However, as they get older they'll grow more dependent on it, so you'll want to ween him/her early at about 5-6 months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• 6 months was the perfect time for us. Wesley took it very well and only fussed for a couple days. Now he's 21 months and his sister is 3 months with a paci. He isn't interested in them at all and gives them to his sister.

Good luck getting rid of the paci! My aunt took her daughter to build-a-bear and had her put the paci in its paw. She's now 5yrs old and still sleeps with her "paci bear."
    Cathy2005

Answer by Cathy2005 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The ideal time is 4 months b/c that's when babies learn to self-soothe or have the capability. However, I have a 15 mo old who still takes one. I would say either replace with a special teddy or blankie and THROW ALL the binkies out.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my sons doc said at his 18 month checkup that we needed to get rid of his. as soon as we got home i threw all of them away or so i thought. a few days later he found one in a drawer in our bathroom. i told him that was for babies and he is a big boy, he looked at it for a few secs and then put it back in the drawer and walked away. i then threw it away. he had no problems getting rid of it. i probably could have got rid of it a long time before but i think it was more for me, because that meant he was still my baby.
    BRANDYLANGLEY

Answer by BRANDYLANGLEY at 10:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2008