Regular shampoo for a dog??

Can I use a regular human shampoo for a dog? Dog shampoo stinks and I was wondering if I could use a baby shampoo or VO5 or something like that?????

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I do it all the time
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My mom uses baby shampoo so the soap doesn't hurt the eyes. She buys the good smelling stuff so her dog always smells like strawberry wet dog. lol
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I use baby shampoo on my Shih Tzu, I like it because I can wash his face and I don't have to worry about the shampoo hurting his eyes.
    I use dog shampoo on occasion, but for the most part I use people shampoo. It has never harmed my dog, it actually seems to make his fur more silky than dog shampoo does. I buy the cheap shampoo (Suave) for my Lab because I like the way they smell.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 3:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I do it. Most of them are tested on animals anyways so i dont see why it should be a problem. The only time i use dog shampoo is when they have ticks or fleas that i need to get rid of.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• suave is good for their coat its ph balnce or whit rain... that what i use on all my animals unless im treating for fleas and ticks...any gentle shampoo is o kay for their coat
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• you can use blue dawn. thats what my vet told me to use on my puppy when he wasn't old enough for flea shampoo. also if you get oatmeal shampoo (vanilla scent) for dogs, it doesn't stink. baby shampoo works too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yeah, it works really well and the yummy smell lasts longer too. For even a greater smell, be sure to follow up with a great smelling conditioner too. Wonderful!!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I use Baby Shampoo for my dog and it works fine. The dog shampoo is lousy and its not even a better price!
    krnrobey71

Answer by krnrobey71 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• since i have a lahsa with long hair...after i use regular shampoo and conditioner on her..i generally follow it up with detangler lol. she loves feeling softer than if i use dog shampoo, she seems less itchy.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 12:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You can use baby shampoo/soap but normal shampoo is harsh to a dogs skin. However, conditioner, in small amounts is okay.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2009