Would u let ur 9 yo stay home alone from school??

I have a friend, her son is 9. I watch her 3 yo step daughter. Usually when she drops her SD off her son is in the car with her. I noticed a few weeks ago he was not in the car and I said "No Carl?" (her sons fake name) and she said "No, he didn't feel like going to school today" so I said "he's @ home?" and she said "yeah". Her husband works full time and I know he was not home with him, he does have an older sister, but she lives with the real dad most of the time. Since then about once a week "Carl" is not in the car with her, and she usually eludes to that he was having a rough morning or something to that extent. So, I believe, this 9 yo boy (who is not 2 mature 4 his age I will add) is staying home once a week for atleast 8 hours a day unsupervised. What do u think about this????

lionslambs

Asked by lionslambs at 2:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• NO!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No way!
    I have just started letting my ten year old stay home while I drive my dh to work in the morning. I am only gone 15 minutes and he is asleep. I wouldn't let him stay home for more than just a few minutes, and definitely not all day long.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I did that once very early in the morning and my mother asked me what if I had gotten into a wreck or if my car broke down so I just don't do it.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son did it. He stayed after school for about 3 hours and all day during the summer. Mine was extremely mature for his age. And, our friends up the road knew he was alone. And I left a long written out detailed notebook full of info, rules, numbers, addresses and names. His food was waiting on him and he could call me or my mom any secoind of the day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• at 9 I was baby siting younger kids than I was.... BUT I was very mature. I would let my very mature 10 year old alone for 1-2 hours at the VERY most.

8 hours is ridiculous for an immature 9 year old. But.... that's just my opinion. There are probably worse things happening right now to kids that we can't even imagine happening.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Where i live thats not even legal...I would never leave my 9 yo alone for that long with noone there. Thats crazy!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• At 10 I was cooking, doing my laundry, home alone...but looking back I think my parents were lazy and I could have easily set the house on fire.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Same here girl.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Illegal and dangerous

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• O well, not your problem, he will be a failure in life.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 3:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009