Swim lessons: At the YMCA or private?

My DD had lessons at the YMCA when she was 18 months but that was just to get her fimilair with the water. She is at the lake and pool alot. Should I do the YMCA lessons again where she will be in the water without me or do private?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think private, not usually much more and they get alot more one on one. You can even find a teen that has been on swim team that wants to do it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We did classes at the JCC (Jewish Y), starting when my daughter was 3.5. They were great, inexpensive, and we both made new friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would always opt for staying close to my children. That way I can immediately notice if they don't understand something or start to get bewildered.
    Even at the age of 8 it was beneficial for our children to be accompanied by a parent's awareness in schoolwork, sports, music lessons, etc.
    Starting at 9 or so, kids can enjoy more of a mob scene, in my opinion, as long as it is a mob of sane children and adults. It is entirely your job to assess every situation your child is plunged into, so you can be sure there are no toxic people impacting your child.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My husband was the aquatics coordinator at the Y for a long time. I think they offer great swimm lessons. My husband did private swim lessons with our youngest son and he did the group setting as well. Doing group setting is not bad-you still get to be there and watch the lessons. Plus they have lifeguards outside of the water to assista nd back up the swim instructor.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'd pick whatever had an indoor pool. This way weather doesn't influence whether the lessons are held or not.

Answer by Bmat at 3:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I like the YMCA classes. We are in the Mommy & Me class for kids under 3 and I'm so surprised by how many skills they are trying to teach the kids. My little girl will be starting the first level of independent swim classes this fall after she turns 3. The class will only have 3 other children in it so they will all be able to get lots of attention from the teacher.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009