Could my son have diabities? (sorry, this is long)

A few months back I cut sweets out of my 3 year old’s diet completely. It was an attempt to get better behavior out of him. However what happened was that his behavior got worse. We tried this for 3 months then I took a different approach. Sweets returned... his behavior improved.

A few weeks ago, my son spent the day with his nana. When we came to take him home he was an angle and came home without any fight. Usually there is crying, kicking, and screaming because he never wants to leave(because she lets him do whatever he wants), but he came home with out a fight. I asked him what he had to eat and he told me he had chocolate chip cookies, vanilla wafer cookies, an ice cream sandwich, brownies, and chocolate pudding. That was the first time my husband and I noticed the correlation, and since then we have kept food journals on him, and it seems to fit.

What do you think... could my son have diabetes?

LelandsMommy

Asked by LelandsMommy at 3:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Health

• I wrote a bit more detailed version of this in my journal. If you want to check it out and get more infor before you answer:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1476161&posted=1
    LelandsMommy

Answer by LelandsMommy at 3:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• no. That much sugar in a diabetic body would be more likely to induce diabetic coma rather than good behavior. If you think it's sugar related, it could be hypoglycemia rather than hyperglycemia. In hypoglycemia a low blood sugar can be indicated by irritability and irrationalism and sugary foods would raise the blood sugar to encourage a more normal acting person.

When you cut sweets, did you just cut the juices, sodas, candy, cakes, cookies and ice creams or did you cut the fruits too? Fruit has a natural sugar, so if you're wondering if it's sugar rather than a spoiled child, try feeding fruits like bananas, apples, peaches, grapes, watermelon, strawberries and pineapple. If your child behaves badly even with the fruit then it's not sugar related, although it could still be diet related.

Have you talked to his pediatrician about this?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• thank you, michiganmom116. hypoglycemia makes since. I don't know too much about this stuff.

When I cut out the sweets, it was only cookies, ice crem, sugar cerals, etc... I would not have cut out fruits, but my son is VERY picky and will not eat fruits, no matter how hard I push them, the rst of my family loves fruit, but he still won't eat them.
    LelandsMommy

Answer by LelandsMommy at 3:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2009