cloth diapering thoughts

hi,.for my next baby i was condsidering cloth diapers.i have no clue as to how to go about doing this.such as are you supposed to change them more often..less often..how to take care of the laundry it causes,..where to buy them at.etc..also any tips would be greatly appreciated!thanks

naturepeace

Asked by naturepeace at 3:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• i did a "dry pail" to store them till there was enough for a laundry load. I used a cat litter pail and sprinkled baking soda with each diaper to reduce the smell. i used cold water washes only, and often did two rinse cycles. I always dried them in the sun: acts as a great stain remover and they smelled very fresh! www.cottonbabies.com often has them on clearance as well as good bundle deals. I also bought them from wahm's on cafemom! my son never had a diaper rash while using them, nor did the water bill go up
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my friend ordered hers online. They come in all colors and with extra pads to make them absorb more at night. I will try to remember to ask her what brand. They velcro and are nohing like the old cloth diapers. She paid about $20 each and had about 15 of them and just ran a load everynight. She also used wash rags instead of wipes and washed them with the diapers.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Definitely try to find them used, either on ebay, craigslist, freecycle, thriftshops or CafeMom marketplace. Throw the dirty diapers in a bucket of water and vinegar until you are ready to wash them. You won't have to worry about chemical burns when a curious toddler tears one apart.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The ones with velcro and the pads all together are definetly the nicest and easiest. But if you don't have the money for them, you can get regular cloth diapers at Babies R Us, WalMart, or Target. The plastic pants are sold at Babies R Us. Also at Babies R Us are diaper liners. You pay a couple of buck for several hundered. They are a light weight sheet (kind of the size of a dryer sheet) that you put in the cloth diaper. When the baby poops you just lift the liner out and throw it away. There is no dunking the diaper in the toilet to get the poop off. My mother in law bought them for me and they are GREAT!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My first daughter we used cloth diapers for a while. Then switched to regular diapers but I don't remember at what point. I do know she was still in diapers, though. You need the rubber pants to go over them, the diaper pins, and you can buy the cloth diapers yourself. I bought them at first at a Baby's R Us, then we switched to a diaper service. It was a little more convenient. You do have to be diligent in changing them, though. Laundering, you can do it yourself, but they do stain. I ended up changing to regular diapers after realizing they were more convenient, not any worse for the baby, and babysitters appreciate them more so than the cloths. Disposable diapers are more convenient when traveling as well. It's a personal choice though. Disposables just became much easier for our family and I don't think they come in sizes; meaning one size might not fit all.
    sicsty8teens

Answer by sicsty8teens at 3:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I never used paper diapers, even when we camped across Canada with a toddler one summer.

I used flat, flannel diapers: they're absorbant, dry fast and can be folded for premies or 4yos. They can be used as burp cloths, sheet protectors, change table covers and now the best rags ever. They're the cheapest you can buy, so you can have a lot more.

We rinsed them in the toilet and soaked in enzyme pre-treat (called Diaper Pure) -- 1/2 a cup in a 43litre rubbermaid with a lid that was 1/2 full of water, filled using a flexible shower head. I carried the whole thing to the washer and dumped it in. Travelling, just put them in garbage bags without the pre-treat.

To wash: cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, hot rinse with vinegar & dry on the line or in the dryer. Fold while watching tv, or as needed.

To transport dirty we used ziplocs. I figured if I had something to bring them in, I had a way to carry them home.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I use Bum Genius and Kissaluvs with snappis and rubber pants. Cottonbabies.com is a great resource to find out about cloth diapers.
    Generally, you have to change them more often. I wash mine once on cold with All Free Clear detergent, then once on warm with an extra warm rinse with All Free Clear. All of that info. is on cottonbabies. You can also get cloth wipes, reusable swim diapers, reusable pail liners (which I wash with the diapers), all kinds of stuff. Check it out. It IS expensive initially, but I've found it saved money in the long run. Plus it's just a good thing to do.
    Any other Q's about this- PM me :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• there are a lot of online stores for them. Just type cloth diapers and you'll get lots of stuff..info., stores, etc.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 8:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009