c-section moms - how long did you take pain meds for?

I had a c-section 9 days ago and I have about 1 more day of vicoden (I think that's what it is) left...I am still really uncomfortable though, can't stand up straight when I walk and feel a lot of discomfort in my abdomen. I do want to get off these meds ASAP but I'm nervous that it's going to be painful! Do any of you remember how long you took pain meds for? Obviously I'll keep taking tylenol but I'm worried it won't do the job.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was on the serious narcotics for about 14 days, and then that was that. I was worried after my last dose too that i would be in a lot of pain and have no way to cope with it. It subsided after a few days, just relax and don't do too much. best of luck and congrats on the baby!
    Anonymous

• I was on pain meds for 3 months. But i had a really painfull infection somewhere i dont want to say haha.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had the c-section on Tues. and left the hospital on Friday. I ran out of meds on Mon. morning and they wouldn't give me anymore. I was still completely in pain and could barely walk at all. Boy oh boy did I want more!! My sister was going to give me some of her vicodin, but I was breastfeeding so that was a no-go.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I took darvocet for about a week, I also took motrin. The darvocet took care of the pain without make me feel loopy. On my bottle of pills it said to call the doc if refill was needed. I didn't bother because the motrin helped me. If your in pain don't feel guilty asking for meds, you just had major surgery and thats what pain meds are for. Feel Better :)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was on them for about 7 -10 days. I was on hydrocodone and did not have much discomfort. I did end up with an infection in my incision and had to deal with that but it never hurt enough for me to take pain meds. I was just on antibiotic for that. When you run out if you need more and tylenol is not helping enough then just contact ur dr. and they should be able to prescribe you more or something stronger than tylenol but not as strong as vicodin. Congrats on the little one!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 3:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I didnt even take them. I took them when i was in the hospital but once i was out of the hospital i didnt take them. The one thing that my drs told me was that the more you flip over during the night the quicker you will heal. Try moving around as much as you can handle and see if the pain decreases.
    Anonymous

• I took percocet and ibuprofen for the first 3 days after I was home. After that I just took ibuprofen now and then.

One thing that really helped was if you hold a pillow over your stomach as you sit/stand up, when your walking around ,etc. I'm not sure what exactly it does but I know it made it easier for me to get up and down.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• just for the first couple of days...you may need to get up and walk around more even though it hurts...thats what I did. the more you sit around and just let everything relax the harder it's going to be to move around.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was on them for about 2 months, I had two different kinds I cant remember which they where but my incesion split open about three weeks after and it was extremely painful and took for ever to heal.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• until you need it take it if you need it...!
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2009