SAHM: How much time during the day do you spend teaching?

I am a SAHM and I feel like I don't spend enough time teaching my DD things like writing her name, recognizing letters & numbers. She is 3.5 and I feel like she should be learning these things!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kid were homeschooled all the way through. I did no teacher, although I did a lot of question answering, research guiding, exploring the world with them alongside and other 'isn't life full of interesting things' kind of conversation and activity.

Directly teaching because I decided it was time (or even that now was as good a time as any) to learn something -- that went over like a load of rocks. My eldest demonstated exactly how unwelcome that kind of thing was, just as she demonstrated that the world is intrinsically interesting to her and she'd explore it at her own pace, quite thoroughly, thank you very much.

In the end, I found that watching the learning process in action was both fascinating and miraculous -- the drive to know seemed to come from deep inside them, and flourished whenever I backed off completely.

Acting on it always stunted it. It only took me about 8 years to learn that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Maximum time is about 2 to 3 hours. WE worked on worksheets yesterday morning for an hour an a half(hour with the twins half hour with my 4 yr old) then later last night before bed, we sat on this awesome reading site(i got from a few of the moms on here called starfall.com) for well over an hour. LOL

I am going to work with them M, W, F on worksheets(we did time and money yesterday and review of beginning sounds) and every evening, we'll work on the starfall.com site and one math site(which I have a whole list of sites moms gave me too i still have to check on).

Leap frog has amazing computers that help them learn letters, numbers and first words. if you have the money for that I highly recommend buying any leapfrog product. You can find them really cheap at thrift stores/resale shops in your area. they play and don't even realize they are learning too.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I worked in the garden all morning, and in the afternoon for a couple hours I'd work with letters and numbers and other teaching-type things. Colors, adding, time telling, simple words and word meanings (up, down, far, near,) as well as simple words and concepts in other languages. Also just plain reading. Then through the rest of the day when the occasion would arise I'd point out things such as put three spoons on the table, what letter does that word start with. Like that. 3.5 is a good time to be doing all of this.

Answer by Bmat at 3:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son is 4.5 and I sort of teach as I go. If we are outside going for a walk we will count the mailboxes, name the color of the flowers we see, sort the round rocks from the odd shaped rocks --- you get the idea.
    I try to work on printing his letters on a dry erase board but he isn't interested but I will catch him practicing here and there.
    He is only 4.5 and can do so much and knows a lot of things already that I am not setting a specific time to sit down and make him do work.
    He just finished up his first year of preschool and I think they pick up so much from there as well. I have seen major changes in him developmentally.
    I want him to learn new things but I also know he is only 4.5 and has many years of school ahead of him so I don't make anything overly structured for him at this point.
    It works for us.
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009