How often do you give your kids chocolate bar, dark sodas drinks, chips you know junk food?

The other day actually every time my son has a game (baseball) there is this mom who has 2 or 3 daughters and they are constantly eating this, I am hoping it is only while at the ballpark.

but I ask my self does she ever say no to them it seems like one of the older daughter is always asking for some money to go get this stuff and the mom gives it to her like here get out of my face.
I don't get it if you don't want your kids to eat this stuff (I mean once a while ok) but the way it looks it looks like this is all the time. I know it isn't any of my business but I questioned this bc when I tell my kids no and tell them if you are good then.....
and they are ok with it. I guess some mom's can say no with no problem and some can't not to put down the good mommy's out there. I was just curious. I am sure she is a very good mom. what are your thoughts? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I only started when he turned 13 and is still only 70lbs. He ate so healthy up till this year...now he eats whatever whenever. But, no, it isn't healthy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He has chocolate very rarely maybe on a holiday or birthday but that's it. I don't feed my kid junk but there are a lot of people on here that do and see no problem with it at all.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my kids get one piece of candy a day weather they want it in the morning or afternoon its up to them but they know one is all they get its never something huge like a full sized candy bar but more like the bite sized ones and never any bubble gum. my kids think that raisins and dried fruit are candies so i lucked out there. but real candy they only get one a day and after that they have to go straight upstairs and brush their teeth. i think once in a while is fine but im letting my kids sit on a sofa and pig out all day..god help the mothers that do..its creating the next generation of gastric by pass patients.
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• This lady will see problems with her kids in the future for sure. You have to teach self control.I learned to teach my kids everything in moderation.Too much of anything is not good.That was the biggest reason I quit smoking two years ago.Its really hard to say dont do this and then not be able to justify your reasoning for doing it. And I tell them if I want to enjoy a glass of wine it's okay because It's only 1. They get this. My son is very disciplined in his diet, he's already starting to work out to get in shape for jr high. And I put limits on my 6 year olds sugar intake. We try to teach our kids about the health risk of some foods and making healthier choices everyday.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Mine's still little so she doesn't get much. I hope to keep it that way as she gets older.

Keep in mind though that all sodas are "junk", not just the dark ones. Even some orange sodas have caffine. And all have sugar or potentially harmful fake sugars. Clear, orange, brown, red - the color doesn't matter.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I give my children the "90/10" rule.If they eat healthy food 90% of the time, they can have a treat the other 10%.

I think this teaches them moderation,so that it's a habit as they become older and more independent.

I still hear a lot of whining for ice cream, cupcakes, soda, etc. but often, they ask for fresh fruit as a treat. You should see the begging when mangoes and watermelon come into season!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son gets 1 cup soda when we eat out mostly but say 2-3 times a month. After the one cup is gone it's water. Chips, rarely also mostly because i don't like them. Chocolate and stuff...He does get a cup of chocolate milk a day (Ovaltine) and desert a lot of times in the summer is a fat free/fat free chocolate Popsicle. Candy not really so much. his favorite dessert, other than the Popsicle, is a bowl of yogurt with a few mini marshmallows in it. He does like a lot of fruit to Strawberry's and blue berries and watermelons...I dunno I try to balance it out. he eats very good for his age i think and I do allow the 'junk' some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids eat both. I allow my kids to drink soda and they constantly have gum but they only eat candy once in while and I buy fruit for them to snack on.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Chocolate and Soda's very rarely at our house, but chips on the other hand probably a few times a week but not in large amounts
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 11:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• for me it all depends on they day or where we are. i dont even trust my kids with chips they are 5 and almost 4 it scares the hell outta me. the candy is usually on the holidays. my kids can have pop if they want it at mcdonalds but usually they want milk there. some parents will let their kids eat that stuff all the time cuz its easier but really with alot of sweets how much can they eat before they get sick.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2009