• In the Spotlight:

% of Height and Weight

I took my daughter to get her 4 year shots today. I was told that she is in the 40th percentile for her weight and 46th percentile for her height. What exactly does this mean and is this good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It means that 40% of all kids her age are the same weight or less. And 46% of all kids her age are her height or less.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It means she is just below average for her weight - about 60% of all kids her age weigh more than her. And it means that she is nearly exactly average for height - about 54% of kids her age are taller than her.
    Two things are more important than these plain numbers though:
    What is her height to weight ratio? This number lets you spot problems with weight - like too skinny or too fat. Yours is probably fine.
    How is her growth rate curve looking? It's not so much how tall or how much she weighs but that she is gaining steadly, on a nice curve. The office should have a growth chart for her in her chart. As long as the curve is nice and steady - no sudden spikes, sudden falls, or flat-lines - she's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have a 3 year old and he only weighs 27 pounds and 34 inches. Don't worry she will catch up
    KristyMalzac

Answer by KristyMalzac at 12:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well it depends on what her percentiles have been all along as to whether that is good or not. 50% is the average height and weight for a child her age so at 40% and 46% she is slightly smaller then average. That is not bad though if she has been all along. My doctor always told me that he wanted my kids to stay within 10% of where they were born. My son was born about 15% weight and 90% height so he should be between 5-25% weight and 80-100% hieght according to my doc. My daughter on the other hand was born about 47% weight and 48% height so she should be 37-57% height and 38-58% weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• doctors try to put every kid in a box- they look at kids & try to average what height & weight they should be. my kids start kinda big & end up skinny. I don't pay much attention to the averages.
    just feed your kid health food & make sure there's lots of outside play & don't worry about the percentages.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009