Horrible situation...

I'm 26 weeks pregnant, and used cocaine (almost every Sat.), drank semi-heavily, and smoked about 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day, up until about a month ago when I found out. I told my Dr.'s this and they assured me that the baby will be fine because I'm young and etc, but I'm still scared. Should I ask for an amneo(sp?)? I was reading about it and saw that it can be harmful to the baby and possibly cause a miscarriage. Does anyone have any advice for me? Please, i don't need aa lecture about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. I ould have stopped sooner had I known. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why get one? If it shows there are problems with your baby, you can't abort it this late anyways. I don't see the point in getting it done.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• best thing to do is to stop! if theres a problem with your baby, you're body will let you know as will the ultrasounds and tests!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The question you should be asking yourself is what would you do if the amnio came back that there could be something wrong? Would you choose to abort, or will you love and support your child no matter what? If you plan on letting your baby live, even if your going to give it up for adoption, I wouldn't. Why risk the babies life if your going to let it live anyhow?
    Anonymous

• I would not have an amniocentesis if it were me. I think that there are too many risks involved, and under the present circumstances, causing anymore stress to your child might not be the best course of action. I think that you should for the duration of your pregnancy stay clean and do whatever you can to be healthy.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If taking the amniocentesis will make you feel at peace to find out for sure if the baby is ok then take the test.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a reason for the testing. If you feel that you will be capable of loving your child no matter what, then the test is basically useless. There have been pregnant woman who have done a lot worse then what you have. I wouldnt stress about it too much, because that can be bad for baby, too. Good luck to you. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 3:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Thank you for your advice!! I was thinking that it's too lat and whats done is done already, so the only thing for me to do is stay clean. And of course, I'm going to love the baby no matter what, and both the baby and I don't need extra stress. Thank you guy so much!!! I really appreciate your responses
    Anonymous

• First of all, congradulations on your pregnancy! And youre stopping drugs and alcohol during pregnancy, what a wonderful mother you will be!

Before you close your question, i just wanted to say; Congradulations!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I had a friend and she shot up meth and smoked crack everyday that she was pg her baby came out fine with no problems he was taken away from her in the hospital because he was born with drugs in his system. She still hasn't gotten her life right but just know that some babies do great crackheads have babies all the time. Just take your vits and try and stay healthy you will be fine.,
    Anonymous

• sweetie what is done is done. If your baby has any complications due to exposure, you will love him or her just the same as if they are born healthy! Focus on your recovery and you and your baby will be ok:) You mentioned that you told your doctor and that is GREAT:) Expect that they will drug test you and the baby shortly after birth but that is just to ensure that your baby goes home with a mommy that is clean and sober! Try to not take it personally but realize that it is to protect your child. And when that test comes back clean, you can hold your head high and know that because of the life that you conceived... you were able to get & stay clean!! Ok this is not a lecture, just my advice... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a 12 step group in your area so that you can get the support to stay clean
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009