llooking 4 parents that have girls on the spectrum with autism and sensory problems dealing with hygeine issues

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• This is not the place to ask this question. Check out all the groups for families with special needs children you'll find all the information you're looking for there. Best of luck!
    Anonymous

• I think this is a good place to ask that question actually. There are a lot of moms here who deal with broad spectrum autism....good luck
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hi I am a mother of a 10 year old aspie.......what kind of issues are you having????
    I have a schedule for my daughter to follow for her bathtime.....and she knows her morning routine fairly well.....
    she takes a shower or bath everynight...no problems there.....loves to brush her teeth because she has a flouride rinse......I do have to remind her to wash her hair, in fact thats the only real problem she has...she has a hard time with her hair because its thick and curly ,so it knots up easy.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I am the mother of a 7 year old Aspie, and a 5 year old who has SID. I have also been having some pretty sever issues when it comes to hygiene with my oldest. Especially when it comes to wiping. A great article on this topic can be found at this link: http://www.helium.com/items/1186568-aspergers-syndrome-and-personal-hygiene Good Luck!

suchbigwords

Answer by suchbigwords at 12:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Anonymous asked the questions and them Anonymous answered it with unbelievable coldness - what am I saying - it's a cold world.

Google: dr. michael powers austims ct

He's a Yale professor and psychiatrist. I have an 11 year old with autism and hygiene is a challenge. I find that a nightly shower, which I still get some opposition to, is great for hygiene (vs. every other night which she prefers) and rejuvenating and calming. If it pertains to toilet issues, you need a good GI doctor and maybe a school social worker can get you an in-home behavioralist. It's a tough issue with these kids.

Since too many of our kids have autism and all children have moms who need support how does anyone dare say this or any place that supports the development of children is not a good site for your question? How disrepectful - they should eliminate that answer.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2009