Baby rice?

OK, I really would like to sleep at least 4hrs at a time at night. My daughter is 3mons and still eats like crazy, at night expecially. I know what they say about solids at early on. However when my 6yr old was little, We had to put rice in her bottle to keep it down. 1tsp. to 2 ounces of formula. So belly cant digest that young I think is CRAP!!! but it has been 6yrs and im considering feeding her baby rice tonight. just to see if it helps her sleep. it did w/ my other 2. did any of you try rice this early? or am I being selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We did a survey once on the Breastfeeding Moms group,. testing the cereal to make them sleep theory.

The overwhelming finding? Not only did it not make them sleep...it made them wake MORE. The carbs in rice cereal can raise blood sugar levels before bed. Then those levels plummet while baby sleeps...and baby wakes up hungry.

You're not being selfis, no. Just, well...unrealistic. They sleep when they sleep and what we do has little to do with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• LOL i feel your pain...everyone has their own opinion...but i gave my son rice cereal at 4 weeks...not much, just enough to thicken up the formula a little. Like one tbsp to a 6 ounce bottle.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Well, why ask? By all means...just do it because it didn't hurt your other one six years ago. I was fed eggs at 2 weeks and I wasn't hurt, but, now that we know better, my son didn't get them or get it that early. DON"T DO IT!!!
    Anonymous

• I also didn't ride in a carseat ever.....
    Anonymous

• You don't want to hear it but you shouldn't......I think acid reflux is the only justification...she's probably having a growth spurt and needs the extra nutrition..are you BF or FF? Before she goes down feed her give her 15 min.. and then top her off. Maybe you'll get 4 hours.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• A child will only sleep when their bodies are ready for them to sleep and absolutely no sooner no matter what you do for or to them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I gave my first son rice cereal at 3-4 monthes and he as fine but with my 2nd i did at 4 weeks and i only did one night and i plan on giving him it at 3-4 months just like with my first. but my son didnt really start sleeping for 4 hours tell he was 6 months old and started up on baby food. about 7 months my first was sleeping all night long
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 4:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I gave my son rice cereal at 2 months, in the bottle. He was eating like crazy and was getting way too much formula, which lead to a lot of spit up. So I gave him cereal, not for sleeping at night, but so he would last longer between feedings. It worked great and it kept down the formula he was eating, thus decreasing the amount of spit up. I know you not supposed to give them cereal until 6 months, but he never had issues disgesting it. And I know I'm not supposed to put it in the bottle, but I put a bigger nipple in and made sure the formula was not so thick that he couldn't suck it out.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2009