• In the Spotlight:

OK. Maybe we aught not to do universal health care after all?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25580327-23109,00.html
THE Australian system of free universal healthcare is set to disappear in as little as five years, prompting a radical plan for a new federal-state partnership to take control of hospitals and patient care.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know the answer. I didn't qualify for state help and after paying the $300 for my insurance I couldn't pay what was left of the bills that insurance didn't cover. Personally I feel like our system now is for insurance companies to get off good.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No quicker way to destroy our healthcare than to make it universal. How do you justify cutting the nationalized healthcare we have to fund more? And now the talk is taxing what people pay for healthcare to fund it. Does that not say anything to anyone who supports it? And besides that where would canadians go for quality healthcare if we do it?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yah think?! I've been saying for months that if countries like the UK and Canada CANNOT effectively manage UHC, what makes people think the USA with TEN TIMES as many residents as they do, and who just happens to be broke can pull it off?!?!?

NOTHING good ever comes from a government that tries to control the lives of its people.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• EXACTLY LoriKeet. I'm from Canada....my Dad left Canada as a physician because he said the system is "mortal." Meaning you could be waiting for your appointment and die because you cannot get in right away. Also, can you imagine not being able to have some selection of the surgical doc that performs a bypass surgery on you? I know I want to choose my doc!
    Anonymous

• Well no chit huh?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If they really wanted to fix our healthcare they would ditch Medicare and Medicaid. They are killing traditional healthcare with their rules and low payments. Doctors lose money on these and those costs get passed on to guess who?

If the government wants to do something they should require the largest carries to provide policies comparable to those given to employers.

Another part of the problem is that people want healthcare when they need it, but are not eager to part with the cash to make that monthly healthcare payment if it isn't automatically done by their employer. This is a problem Massachusetts is having with their new system.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i think that if doctors actually had reasonable cost and insurance was not outlandish then people could afford to get their own until they people go to the er because they know that they have to be seen. second when they go to the er you know that they are not actually going to pay the bill. and that being said we will just have to keep Medicaid and medicare for those who can not afford health care. and Medicaid does pay the whole bill in full.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's the drug industry that needs the biggest over haul. Drug prices are crazy, all so big pharmaceutical companies can have crazy profits. And take a bunch of docs out to lunch.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yeah I agree UHC stinks, as military wife we have something close to it. For 2 yrs I suffered daily asthma attacks-it wasnt until I saw a civilian dr that took care of me properly. Here is an idea BIG Govt, instead of taking over the system-why not apply a income fee based charges. meaning someone making min wage gets about 20% charge and go from there? There is a need for coverage, but really needs to be evaluated before jumping into this without much thought. Just read Sen. Dashal's report on health care, several things such as breast cancer would take a back seat to someone who didnt need treatment.
    DawnPratt23

Answer by DawnPratt23 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If we took better care of ourselves then we would not have to go to the doctors office or hospital as offten. I am talking about our American eating habits. American's eat more fast food now then ever before. there is a sayng you are what you eat and I believe that to be a truee statment. We even sit and watch to much TV. If you want a better life then take care of yourself and take care of the world you live on. We only have one life so live it to its fullest.
    suppermommy289

Answer by suppermommy289 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009