How Can I Become A Writer??(kinda long!)

I have always had an over-active imagination&been able to write short stories, ranging from children's stories all the way through to erotic stuff but the only people ever to hear or read my work is me and my dog!! I would love for someone to read my stories who can give me advice and maybe even get them published eventually. I wouldn't have a clue where to start&have heard it is very hard to even get your work looked at these days. I live in England and am a SAHM to 3 with a 4th on the way so am not able to travel places to get my work seen so would have to write letters to the people that can help. Does anyone know how I would get the ball rolling, what people I would have to get in touch with? If you do, please let me know because it has always been an ambition of mine to become a publihsed writer.

mummy24

Asked by mummy24 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I am a columnist for an online Pagan magazine. I have taken a few writing courses at the local community college. I'm not sure how the universities in London are, but out here we have many writing enhancement courses, publishing courses etc....I took an amazing 1 day seminar on self-publishing. I have written a book, but in all honesty i've put it off i think partly because I don't think nobody will like it(which every writer at some time in their life feels that way I'm sure, my editor calls me a perfectionist LOL...she said i need to not be so hard on myself).

I had some links and I'll try to find them. Writers Market.com is a good site as well as writers digest they have little exercises every month where you are given a scenario and have to write about it in a whole storyline. There are also contests and short story contests there as well.

Send me a message if you need any more info. :) good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I forgot to mention those courses are called "adult continuation courses" and aren't usually for credits.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You can look locally for a publisher and send a manuscript to them.....like Harlequin accepts manuscrips, there website lists complete instructions on how to submit a work to them!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Before you plan on becoming a writter you should pay more attention to your spelling as well as your grammer. Over on this side of the pond we do not end our sentences with a proposition. Just a little helpful hint .
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks chedhead but I wasn't exactly trying to make this perfect, it's not like I'm trying to impress anyone on here, I just wanted some advice on getting the work I have spent years on being seen, not a post on CM!!
    Besides I'm not the only one that needs to work on their spelling, I'm sure writer only has 1 T, is it not??
    mummy24

Answer by mummy24 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• LOL!!
    You deserved that chedhead..ouch!!
    mittensoup

Answer by mittensoup at 11:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh I see that sarcasim is wasted on you.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes especially as sarcasim is the lowest form of wit!!
    mummy24

Answer by mummy24 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am new to cafe mom's website. I am dealing with a similar situation. I love to write poetry and I have numerous journals as well as the "skeleton" for what may be the material for a book. I do not know if it will be something that people want to read and at this point (believe it or not) I am not in it for the money.

I met a private publisher once who indicated that I'd need to have money to up front to"sell" my book. I have met some self-published writers as well. I'm not sure is the former was legit. or not. I am sorry that I did not answer your question but I would like to keep in touch with you . Perhaps there are moms out there that can answer.
    Jade111

Answer by Jade111 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2010