I need suggestions

My almost 3 year old has just become horribly mean. It was just like not listening ever. like screaming, telling us no, yelling, ignoring, throwing fits, etc. Now its all that combined with being mean. He bit his older brother yesterday (he's never been a biter) he's mean to the babysitter's little girl, the dogs, everything! I dont know what to do. Ive tried time out, spanking, counting to 3, giving choices, im at a loss! We did just have a baby 8 weeks ago, could it all just be jealousy? Its like a power struggle with him. Its like he doesnt comprehend what we are saying to him when he gets in trouble, even though I know he does. He just completely ignores us then screams like you are trying to kill him when he gets into trouble. Im seriously at a loss on what to do. I try to give him as much attention as possible (especially with the new baby) but it doesnt seem to help! what can i do? any suggestions?

Chrissy0918

Asked by Chrissy0918 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is a cross between being jealous of his new baby sibling and the terrible 2's/3's. You need to have an hour each night where you do something with just him and then include the rest of the family. He is showing off his "middle child syndrome". you need to take steps to break the cycle of his attitude and outbursts. It will take time but mainly a lot of patience from you.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• its a phase lol mine is doing it to...hes 4yrs old and a terror on two legs. it could also be the new baby who knows the only thing you can do is stick to your punishments and if nessisary go another degree stronger with him let him know firmly that it will not be tolerated and when he does choose to act out he isnt welcome near the family my son gets put in his time out spot with no toys or anything fun..it usually does the trick..when he decides to behave like a member of the family hes welcome to come join us untill then he can sit and think..good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I have so been there. I will not say you are doing anything wrong. My son is almost 3 years older than my daughter and he was a tyrant after she arrived. Is he in day care? My son was already in day care and if not for that I don't know what I would have done. The day care provided a place for him to play with kids his own age and see how they act (not always a good thing), but it also taught him that others get in trouble too. Most would say he is just trying to get any attention that he can. If you have someone willing to watch the baby and any other children that you don't want to leave alone you might try setting aside a day to do something just you and him that he loves. I found just taking him to the park where I had to keep baby in the stroller and let him run around and play was the best thing for him. Now that my daughter is older they can play together and she keeps him in check if he gets rough. Good Luck

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 4:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'm so glad you asked this question. My girls 3 and acts out on her little brother and at me all the time! These answers helped me too. I really need to make more 1 on 1 time with her.
    Anonymous