Why the love for Ayn Rand?

Cafemom has to be the biggest gathering of Ayn Rand lovers I've ever seen. Why is that? Why are there people on this site who read and cherry pick key elements of what she wrote and regurgitate them all over Cafemom? I just don't see the appeal in the Church of the Virtue of Selfishness. Anyone?

MissBearNMonkey

Asked by MissBearNMonkey at 4:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with Miss Bear and Lindalu. Her personal life was very differnet from what she tried to portray in her writings. I say 'tried' as she was a very third-rate writer anyway, with a penchant for pop philosophy which makes even Dr. Phil look good. There are plenty of authors who lived under Soviet communism who were far better writers than Ayn Rand, from Arthur Koestler to Solzhenitsyn and Pasternak.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Keep stirring that pot of drama.  LOL.  regurgitate.  Whatever.

Anonymous

• Ayn Rand is a fabulous and gifted author, probably going back to before you were even born. Just because you don't care for that style of writing, no one else should? What's your question anyway, or is it just a debate starter?
    Anonymous

• Possibly because it is required classical reading in most of our schools - and some found inspiration in her writings...much the same as with many authors thoughout time...

I guess I don't understand the point/problem...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I guess it could be a debate...why NOT discuss it? If you don't want to, don't. I'm intrigued by the fascination with someone who most of us read and moved on from at age 15.
    MissBearNMonkey

Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Anon 4:23. Not sure what you're talking about.
    MissBearNMonkey

Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 4:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• lol - I think it's unwise to assume 'most' moved on from reading her material at age 15 if you're finding a large number of women here who apparently still do! =)

That being said many people read many things for different reasons; I suspect what you are referring to are in political discussions? I know many people feel she was a beacon of sorts showing the evils of the 'collective' vs the 'self'...that appeals to many people who feel they're being 'oppressed' by their governments or fellow men...

Some just appreciate her writing skill; and ability to write so eloquently in English when her native tongue til her early 20's was Russian. Is your assumption that most have moved on based on thinking that unless a teacher were forcing them no one would read something that old? Because I am quite fond of even older works; The Iliad; The Odyssey; etc...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Beachmama, yes, in political debates.
    I agree, she's got an amazing grasp of the English language (far more than some of her biggest fans on this site, I dare say). Have you read Joseph Conrad (Heart of Darkness)? English wasn't his first language either. Both of them are incredible writers.
    MissBearNMonkey

Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 5:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hmmm - yes I believe it's her intense writings about the evils of the collective and the importance of the self that draws many who are more conservative or traditional in their political views. And I think that some forget she was coming from a much older/stricter form of communisim than we are familiar with to a much 'smaller' America...we don't have to imagine what such a difference must have seemed like to her; we can see it for ourselves in her writings...

What I find interesting personally is that my favorite novel of hers is not one of the 'normally' more popular; I loved 'Anthem'.

No I have not read his work; but I'll take a look; thanks for the tip
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Ayn Rand does take selfishness to the extreme level.

I don't agree with her in applying that to marriages, and personal life.

BUT I do agree with her as far as political and economics theories go. I just believe that being giving in our personal lives is what lets us succeed in be capitalists in our political lives.
    Anonymous