What do you do with your puppy when you work 8-5?

We are thinking about getting a puppy. I only work part-time. I am home most of the time. One day a week I do have to work all day. My question is: What do you do with your puppy when you are gone all day? I think a crate would be too long for her to be in. Any suggestions. Thanks!

drherrmann

Asked by drherrmann at 4:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Unless you have a friend who can stop in and check on the puppy, a puppy crate is what you will have to use. You need to get one that is nice and roomy. Something that he/she will not be cramped for space. get something that will keep water in his crate so it won't spill over. The puppy will be fine in a crate if you don't have anyone to help you out.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We use to put a gate up across the bathroom and keep him in there. He had his wee wee pad, toys, bed, food/water all in there.
    Anonymous

• my puppy is either in the crate 8 to 12 then I go home for awhile then back in the crate til 4:30. I also have the option of putting her in the fenced back yard. I usually leave her outside since the weather has been nice.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Get a puppy crate and try to stop by to let the puppy out during the afternoon, if you can. We have a lab and when she was a puppy, we got a crate that would be big enough for her when she was full-size, but it also came with a divider to make the crate smaller for the puppy stage. You don't want the crate to be too large because the dog will pee in the corner of the crate. Not good. Also, leave some chew toys in the crate for the puppy to play with.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I get to take my dog to work with me lol I work at a doggie daycare. If you have any of those around, its a great way to socialize, train and wear out your pup. I tired pup is a happy pup!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• that supposed to read "A tired pup is a happy pup" lol I'm special
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you don't have a fenced yard area where he can stay without overheating, you'll have to keep him inside. Either keep him in the crate with some toys and a little fresh water until someone can come by to check on him, or put a doggie gate up in the bathroom or kitchen so thats as far as he can go to explore. Put down lots of pee pads or newspapers, and leave him chew toys, fresh water and a little food, since sometimes young puppies have trouble with their blood glucose dropping. This can be serious, so for the first couple of weeks, it's a good idea to put karo syrup or a little sugar in the water. That'll keep his sugar levels up and he'll be ready to play when you get home....Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with ap9902 about making sure the crate isn't too big. If you can't come home during lunch to walk the pup, I would hire a neighbor or a dog walker to come in and walk the pup halfway through the day. Pups should really only be crated with no bathroom break for about however many months they are plus one. So if the pup is three months old, four hours tops without a potty break. That's for a medium sized dog. I don't know much about small dogs and their bladder control.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2009