my baby will not sleep and all he wants is to be held what should do ?

he usely hates to be held it is not like him to do this

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is baby?

Answer by barbara404 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It sounds like something is wrong or their is a change that takes him away from you. Did you take him to daycare for the first time? Or could he have an ear infection? How old is he? With most kids they will go threw a phase like this but when mine went threw it, it wasn't completely out of the blue. Put how old he is and that will help us answer your question alot better.

My advice is it's better safe than sorry you might want to check with his doctor and see if maybe he's just sick. (Especially if you have medicaid for him.)

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Maybe he is cutting teeth or has gas? Baby orajel or Mylicon drops is helpful, and so is lying them across your knees and rubbing their back and tummy.

Otherwise, crying will not kill them, although it is hard on you. Just relax, and say to yourself, I'm going to hang in there, because the baby needs some sleep. Let them cry it out once, and you may find, they sleep much easier for it. Keep the door cracked so you can peek, but don't let them see you. It only takes a couple of tries, but be certain you are there the very second they wake up, with a big, warm smile and alot of positive things to say, and check their diaper before they fuss. It gives them confidence that mom is looking in.

Answer by wrecmom at 12:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Mmmm....I was one of those that just held them. They'll grow out of it. It might be a security phase that they're going through; babies need their mommies! As long as you've checked w/the doctor and baby is healthy, my advice is just get comfy and hold that baby. :) I learned to function with only one arm quite well. ha BTW, my two oldest kids are a freshman and an eighth grader and they've turned out great...youngest is a total mess, but I held him all the time too so I guess it doesn't matter. Just love them. You can never do THAT too much, and trust your instincts.

Answer by LeighAnne3 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If the baby is newborn to 3-4 months it's okay for him/her to be held all the time. At around 4 months you should start letting it learn to comfort himself. Not to say never to cuddle him/her, but to let the baby find ways to comfort himself when you can't/don't want to hold him/her. If your baby is still very young (newborn to 3-4 months) you might want to get a sling and carry your baby around. Inbetween newborn to 3-4 months the baby won't learn a habit of dependence. However, after 4 months he/she will if you coddle him/her too much. That's what I've been told and have read.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• hold him. put him in the swing, and put on music or even the vacuum cleaner if it helps him relax.

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• they just wanna be comforted my son was like that till he was 4 months so was my daughter theyll grow out of it its just a comfort doctor told me (this depends on how old your baby is of course but for my newborn) she told me to lay him down ion the crib and everytime he cries go to him dont pick him up but let him know your there and rub his belly or head and reassure him of your voice and keep doing it till he feels your there no matter worked for my son it took a week but it worked

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Hold him.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008