How do I transition my son from a bottle to a regular cup?

My son is almost a year old and we want to take the bottles away at his first birthday however, my son (and my husband, who is a stay at home dad) relies on the bottle to go to sleep. I know this seems like it would be easy however god gave me a son that doesn't like sippy cups. I mean he hates them, he won't drink out of them unless you take the lid off and let him drink out of it like you or I would. We have tried every type of sippy cup out there, soft spout, hard spout, handles, no handles, we even took out the leak protector. I know that it is good for him to drink without a sippy cup, but I also feel like I am being selfish because I don't want my son spilling his drink all over the floor and himself. Any ideas?

tristansmom08

Asked by tristansmom08 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was the one who fought the sippie cup transition. Part of her problem was the valve on the sippie cup was not letting fluid through. Try putting water in the cup and drinking it yourself. I found that some of the valves needed to have the slit in them (where the liquid comes through) "popped" to actually break the seal in them. After that, it was easy to get her off the daytime bottles. The night time bottles took a bit longer, but I just kept giving her sippie cups in the evenings and holding off the bottles until later and later, until she was going to sleep without a bottle at all, and would take a sippie if she woke up in the middle of the night. I also found a sippie cup that had handles attached to the rim. Similiar to Playtex's First Sipster. She loved that cup!!
    armycoppertop

Answer by armycoppertop at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I dont know about bed time, but any other time hes thirsty, if making a mess is your worry make him drink in the kitchen, out of a straw, or out of the cup. Theres no reason to have a cup all over the house!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• A cup with a straw...or the regular cup. But, if you take away bottle completely and only hand him a cup instead, he will have to take it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009