Baby's hair falling out and cradle cap ?

When my YDS was born a couple of months ago, he had a head full of long hair ( long for a new born). Well, today I was brushing his hair and it's falling out in huge clumps. Is this normal?
Also, he's got some nasty cradle cap that is coming off in huge flakes. Is there any way to make it better? He also seems to have a bit of cradle cap in his eyebrows as well. How do I get rid of it?

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 4:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have heard of babies lossing hair but not a lot at once. and the cradle cap i just put baby oil in my sons bath and in his hair
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 4:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My daughter lost her hair but she lost it in patches. She also had cradle cap. I bought some of the cradle cap stuff they sell at Walmart but from reading the ingredients, it was basically corn starch and baby oil.

I don't think it is anything urgent that you would have to call the dr about, but you might want to talk to the dr about it at his next checkup, just to relieve your mind.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son was born with a head full of thick, dark hair and had a peach fuzz by the time he was three months old. I was so sad! He also got terrible cradle cap around that time as well. I brought the cradle cap stuff from walmart, the ones that have winnie-the-pooh on it, and used that during bath for three days. Then on the third day, I used that, and left it in and took some round-edged comb and lightly rubbed his scalp with it. Not hard though, you don't want to irriate the skin. Then washed the stuff out. I pat-dried his head, and then could see the already-loosened scales, and I took the comb and lifted the scales off very, very gently. It took a while to do that, but after that... his cradle-cap was gone, and there were no irriations to his scalp.

But the hair falling out in clumps? I didn't experience that. I would be calling the doctor about that. Or a nurse hotline.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009