Glucose Test - IM HUNGRY! Cant I eat?

Im going for a Glucose Test in an hour. I dont remember the eating instructions my midwife told me and i cant get ahold of her - ive been calling every few hours, every day, for two weeks.
I am sooo hungry! I had two scrambeled eggs at 8am this morning. It is now almost 1:30pm. Im 7 months pregnant, when i dont eat i get horribly sick. Ive been sleeping to try to keep from throwing up but i dont think i can anymore. And if i throw up the nasty sugar water then i'll have to re-do it tomorrow.

So is there anything i can eat? A half a piece of toast? A graham cracker? Anything?

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 4:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if its a one hour glucose tolerance test you should be fine...unless they specifically ask you not to then its a FASTING test. there are items out there without sugar in them. diet drinks, any kind of protein, or even doing something small with limited amounts of carbs. the carbs and sugar is what you want to avoid before a test. some of my fave low carb snacks are summer sausage, string cheese, scrambled eggs, hot dogs, a bunless burger (just wrap it in fresh crisp lettuce and its AMAZING). dont starve yourself, but avoid large amounts of carbs and sugar. the drink will just put you over on your numbers. and if you fail they will most likely do the fasting sugar first thing in the morning followed by the 3 hour tolerance test. oh also, during the test, be sure to ask what you can have while you wait. i was told i can have water and sugar free gum...which helped get the taste out of my mouth and focus on not puking! good luck!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 12:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I was told that i could eat. I wouldnt have a big meal before you go in but i think toast or some crackers should be fine that way you have something in your stomach and you dont get sick.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• But if your not sure if your suposed to eat or not then i wouldnt eat much just enough so your not sick..
    Anonymous

• i just had it done yesterday you can eat just no coffee or exersize
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 4:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• you can eat. but remember what turns into sugar..almost EVERYTHING. if you fail you stay for like 3 more hours..its rediculous...white bread turns into glucose, and cereal is full of sugar.. i think you can eat some cheerios...or more eggs..but be careful. you dont want to spnd the day at the doc.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• DONT EAT!! Foods that you would NEVER think have sugar in them have sugar!! Like bread... it contains sugar! If you eat any sugar you will throw the results of the test! Do you want to have to go back and do the 3 hour test because you fail the 1 hour because you took in more sugar then you were suppose to?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• No its suppose to be a fasting test so they can test how long it takes your body to use the measured amount of sugar in the drink. Eating something could throw off the test. If still in doubt, call the lab at the hospital and ask them.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you eat something just over on hour before the test then youll be fine. Thats how long it usually takes for the shugar to go through your system. Hense the test being an hour long...I would eat so you dont get sick.
    Anonymous

• The GD test is supposed to be a FASTING test, so that when they check your levels it's based on the drink they give you and NOT what you ate! Take it from me.....i'm a type 2 diabetic!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was told to not eat anything with sugar in it. Also not to eat after the glucose drink but u can eat before. But after u drink it, they say u can't even drink anything or chew gum or have anything period. Then after u give ur blood u can eat. It's not bad. U drink it and then 1hr later give blood and then u can eat, lol.
    Anonymous